1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. marcus connor

marcus connor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    i need help with my hen it's has been like this for a couple of months and i don't know what to do

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she molting? Please give more details on what is wrong with her. Can she stand and walk? Does she have any signs of lice and mites on her skin? Molt can last 1-2 months, and they usually stop laying eggs. What type of feed is she getting?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  3. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    #1 no,#2yes she can stand,walk,run,#3 i don't know,#4 she is laying eggs 1-2 a day#5 she is getting ground corn,pellets

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She looks to be getting feather picked possibly by other chickens, especially with new feather growing in in places, since you say she is not molting. There seems to be a lot of white flakes on her feathers which could be dry skin, lice, or a fungus called favus on her head. I would start bey cutting down on corn to less than 10 % of her diet, and giving her more pellets or even give her gamebird feed as a treat instead to increase the protein in her diet to regrow feathers. If other are pecking her, you will need to remove them from the flock or separate her. Mites and lice can cause skin problems and feather damage, and you can see them on the skin around the vent area or on other parts of the body. Lice eggs are white clumps at the base of feathers. Permethrin or Sevin dust used every 7-10 days until not signs of lice/mites are seen, plus replacing bedding in the coop is the treatment for those parasites. Anit-picking creams may help with picking, but you should observe the flock to see who is doing it.

5. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    ok thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by