HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by luvinmyducks, Dec 17, 2014.

1. luvinmyducks

luvinmyducks New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    I have 4 adult ducks, 3 female, 1 drake, 10 week old ducklings, 3 month old ducklings. They are all free range and live on the dam where they have a house floating on the middle of the dam for their safety. One of the adult females has become very aggressive to her daughter who has batch of ducklings about a week old. At feeding time she constantly bites at the ducklings and pushes them under the water or chases them and when the mother steps in to defend them she attacks her also. The aggressive female also has 3 ducklings that are about a month old but she neglected them and they tend to swim with the younger ducklings and their Mother as she does look after them very well. Not sure what to do or will this pass naturally. Cheers.

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    What is their main food source?

3. luvinmyducks

luvinmyducks New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    I feed them pellets and greens once daily and the rest of the day they forage around the dam. Feeding time is when the attacks are at their worst.

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Well i have no idea sorry , i thought it would be a food supply thing if they only foraged, hmmm well it also might be she is just reestablishing the social order letting the new mom know her place as well as where the babies stand

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If there is any way to separate the mama with the week old ducklings from the group till the babies are 3 weeks at least? at that age an adult could easily drown them. I separate my mamas and new ducklings from the flock with temp fencing were every one can still see each other but mom and babes have their own space and housing Bring the month old ducklings along if they aren't bothering the 1 week olds. Giving mom and babes their own space till 3-4 weeks will give the ducklings a chance to gain some strength and weight and to be able to get away from anyone wanting to pick on them. Also 2 or more feeding stations will help once you put them all back together.

6. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I agree with Miss Lydia if you can seperate them I would. And also with having more than feeder. I have always had multi feeders out for my ducks and chickens. I also keep them spaced out. I just use small plastic storage containers, and each little group has established who gets what feeder.

1 person likes this.
  7. luvinmyducks

luvinmyducks New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks so much, your advice makes sense.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Forgot my manners

Welcome To BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by