1. Momof12chickens

Momof12chickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2014
    I posted a couple time. I had two girls both do the same thing. I went in the coop and my big girl was covered in blood. I was thinking that she was egg bound. I don't know what it is. It is under the vent looks like a big bloody ball. But it is under her vent and the skin looked like it was ripped on each side. My big girl did not make it. The 2nd on we Stiched
    Her up. She is eating and pooping well. I have her in a dog cage in house. I would like to know when she is healed can she go in coop with her sisters with no feathers on her backside. Thank you.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

You need to keep her away from them as long as her backside is exposed. You could put her in her own small pen or cage in the coop so she can see them to make it easier to re introduce her to the flock.

You need to figure out what is going on. There are many possibilities. It could be you have one that pecks at bottoms. Once it is red, all the others will peck at it and make it worse. It could be rats that start it, do they roost up off the ground at night?

3. Momof12chickens

Dec 5, 2014
    [​IMG]
    This is what my one girl looked like.gunder her vent.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Did you wash her or were her feathers wet like that?

5. Momof12chickens

Dec 5, 2014
    We gave her a bath due to the fact we thought she was egg bound. But this was under the vent.
    Not in or around the vent. The other one was the same way the next day. She is doing better we
    Are not letting her lay eggs so she can heal. I let her out of the cage about one hr a day. She
    Eats and drinks. Very talkative and is acting like she always has. I got spray to put on the stitches.
    I don't know if it will work but trying everything to help her. Thanks again for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by