1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lincol, Jan 15, 2015.

1. lincol

lincol New Egg

Jan 15, 2015
    I am so nervous today. By evening my chicken eggs will have reached their 21 day mark. It's nerve racking looking into my incubator during lockdown and seeing nothing has happened! This is my first time hatching and I took precaution reading all directions and looking in here for advice. I had candled three eggs before lock down that we're no good. :( I'm afraid all are no good. I've washed my hands before handling the eggs and candled every 5 days. Temperature and humidity gave been just right. Please help. I'd hate to give up on the eggs and they actually be ok. They've not even hatched and I've become attached to them.

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Did you see movement when you candled them?
    When did you set the eggs......about what time of day or night?
    Do you hear any faint peeping or are any eggs rocking back and forth?

3. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Give it another 24-48 hours. If nothing happens still then I would try checking them again. If there are no holes or cracks you can try a water test. In warm (not hot) water you can gently place the egg in: if it sinks or completely floats it's no good, but if it bobs around half way there may still be a chance.

I truly hope it works out for you and if it doesn't (as hard as it is)use it as a learning experience and try tweeking things a little. Good luck!

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    By the way, WELCOME TO BACKYARD CHICKENS!! This must be your first hatch. I hope it all turns out good.

5. lincol

lincol New Egg

Jan 15, 2015
    Thanks everyone! Glad to be a member! I just checked the eggs (by looking through the window of the incubator) I thought I saw a egg kind of move but I think my eyes were playing tricks on me from staring so long! It's super quiet downstairs but I didn't hear any peeping, I don't think any way. It's so hard to know what to look for on my first try.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Day 21 is not written in stone. Eggs can hatch 4 or 5 days later than the hatch date.

Since you candled at lock down and found several duds, you probably should have candled the rest. Lots of reasons can cause eggs not to hatch. What type of incubator are you using and are you sure all the gauges are accurate? I like to use 2 temp gauges to be sure...the one on the machine and one inside the bator itself. I also put another humidity gauge inside the bator as well so I am sure everything is as it should be.

Are your vents wide open? They need all the oxygen they can get at this point. Humidity should be up around 65% to 70%.

Give the eggs another 4 or 5 days and see if you get any of them to pip. I sure hope you get something to hatch!!

7. lincol

lincol New Egg

Jan 15, 2015
    Oh! And I got the incubator for Christmas and I set the eggs that day around 3ish :)

8. lincol

lincol New Egg

Jan 15, 2015

Thanks I hope they do too! I've got all airways open plenty of water and right before lockdown when I candled them I couldn't really see through them. Although there was one egg that I could see through and the chick was very active. Idk if they have umbilical cords or not but I seen a large vein near the surface of the egg. Is that normal?

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  10. lincol

lincol New Egg

Jan 15, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by