1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nickiprosser, Jan 19, 2015.

1. nickiprosser

nickiprosser New Egg

Jul 5, 2014
    Its day 21 and I have 2 eggs that broke holes in the eggs and one quit moving I think it died so I help it a little bit just to find that it wasnt breathing or moving anymore but now im concerned about the other one so I help it out while its still alive or just leave it be??

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Can you hear it pipping? Only help it out if the membrane has dried over and you can know for sure the chick can't get out/

3. nickiprosser

nickiprosser New Egg

Jul 5, 2014
    I can hear the other chriping its a larger hole on it how do you know if the membrane is dry?

4. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    You can normally tell after a couple days (it's possible that he can hatch out during the course of the day especially since he's only on day one) If you feel the need to you can use some water to soften it and chip out only a small portion. A dry membrane normally comes from it being in the incubator over an extra day which means the chick is a little bit more weaker.

5. nickiprosser

nickiprosser New Egg

Jul 5, 2014
    Okay thank you I think this one is gonna make it out she just chipped off another little chunk of he egg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by