1. srbedgood

srbedgood New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    I have found several of my birds that have bumps on their eye or beak. I took a picture of one of my hens. The other birds it does not seem as bad or it is going away. Just wondering if any one knows what it may be and how to treat this. I live in Michigan and we have been experiencing very cold weather.[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    1 person likes this.
  3. srbedgood

srbedgood New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Is this harmful to us? I have children and grand children who play with my birds. Is there a treatment or is it just time? Last question are the eggs okay to eat?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you possibly post another picture or two? While fowl pox could look like that, it should be way too cold for mosquitoes in Michigan to be spreading fowl pox. Have you seen them pecking each other, or have you seen swollen eyes without the bumps, nasal or eye drainage, coughing or sneezing, or noisy breathing?

5. srbedgood

srbedgood New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

I have a bird who sneezes all the time been doing that since she was a chick. I have seen a few with watery eyes that have cleared up with eye drops. They are a little more cooped up since the weather has been so cold so it is possible for them to be pecking each other more.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would worry about a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG,) or others. Tylan 50 given as an injection into the breast muscle, or given orally may help with symptoms. Most respiratory diseases are chronic, and the flock can become carriers. Here is a good link to read about the common diseases such as MG, coryza, infectious bronchitis, and ILT: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by