1. Mr Beaks

Mr Beaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Spotted a sick chick w/pasty vent @ local feed. They weren't going to help it but said I could have it. I took it home & gently cleaned vent. It pooped but also passed some red gelatin stuff too. Shecdoes not look good and won't eat/drink. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am fairly new to chickens.[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Probably cocci. When you see blood in shed intestinal lining as I suspect it is, it is too late to do anything about it.The chick is on its way out. I recommend that you keep the chick away from your other birds and cull it. Then thoroughly wash your hands; practice biosecurity.

3. Mr Beaks

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Oh, no...not what I wanted to hear. Is there anything at all I could try? Thank you for your reply. It is sincerely appreciated!

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    You *could* give it Corid 9.6%... That's the treatment for Coccidiosis. It's available at Tractor Supply and most fed stores.

Sorry to hear about your sick chick.

If you start the Corid, you will have to take extra care that your chick is getting the hydration it needs, which may mean getting a dropper and manually feeding/watering him. You'll have to follow dosing instructions, but I have no idea what that would be for a baby chick.

x2 what @dawg53 said... Separate that chick IMMEDIATELY and keep it away from the others. Cocci can spread to your chicks and devastate your brood if you don't catch it in time.

Start the Corid as SOON as possible with some vitamins and Sav-A-Chick electrolytes.

You have a big heart for wanting to save the little baby... I hope you help him pull through.

Keep us posted.

MrsB

5. Mr Beaks

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Thank you sooo much MrsB! I will definitely keep her away from the others. I have already given her the electrolytes and added probiotics for good measure as this was the only thing I could think to do. I doubt they have the Corid where I got her but will search relentlessly until I do find it. She has been drinking from a dropper a little but won't drink on her own. She does eat though. She seems to want to please me because the more I praise & encourage her the more she eats :) Thank you again for your help, I'm a newbie and don't know what the heck I'm doing! I will keep u posted :)

6. Mr Beaks

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Update: The chick seems to be a bit better. She's eating really well, walks a bit more, peeps more often and tries to drink her vitamin/electrolyte water. I called in where I got her & was told by owner that theCorid was definitely in stock. I was there in 5 minutes, the boss was "gone for the day" and no one could find the stuff. Quite upsetting to say the least. I'll try difdifferent place tomorrow and keep u posted. Thanks again![​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Congrats on pulling the chick from the brink of death. Expedite getting corid, it'll be in the cattle section at a feed store. You can purchase the Corid 9.6% liquid solution or Corid 20% soluable powder. The dosage for the corid 9.6% liquid solution is 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5 days. Make it fresh daily and dont add anything to the mixture. The corid 20% soluable powder dosage is one teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days. Make it fresh daily and dont add anything to the mixture. Dont tell the people at the feed store it's for a chicken.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  8. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    What a little beauty. <3 I'm so happy to see her up and about.

And just like @dawg53 mentioned, employees at feed stores rarely ever know that medicine for goats. horses, and cattle CAN be used for chickens - much less the dosage. Once in a blue moon, you might get "that chicken person," but it's probably safest to come here and trust the members. :)

Let us know how your Corid adventure goes!

MrsB

9. Mr Beaks

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Thank you dawg53 and MrsB! You have been of great support and I appreciate the input from both of u. We just tracked down the Corid but I am embarrassed to say I have yet to administer it. Her dropping seem more normal, only 1spot of reddish orange. She is much more active and vocal and is eating/drinking well. I know how dire it is to treat if it is cocci but don't want to hurt her if it isn't. What do u suggest? I'll post pics of her & of her droppings. Thanks again![​IMG]

10. Mr Beaks

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by