1. medic lynny

medic lynny Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    chicago suburban
    I have 4 hens..all look ok ,acting normal,eating or apear to be..BUT the past three days 2 hens drool when they drink and get all wet no sneezing or dischange from nose and it is cooooold..the water drips down waddle on to chest.when i let them out in am they are dry??? just wierd to me..thanks any thoughts?

2. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    What do their crops feel like in the morning and at night?

3. medic lynny

May 29, 2014
    chicago suburban
    New at this so forgive me...felt them this afternoon soft could feel seeds..thy eat pellets scratch..human peas or mixed veggies morning and night.

4. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I'm new too [​IMG] But i've been through alot so far [​IMG] I would check their crops at night they should be full or semi full, check in the morning they should be empty. I guess during the day it can feel like anything in between...

When mine drink they always spill some down their waddles (those that have them) and down their necks, they usually shake their heads and it goes flying off, this may be normal for them? how does their poo look?

5. medic lynny

May 29, 2014
    chicago suburban
    Poop is good. .ill ck crops tonight and in morning. They are sick of me checking the today..i just worry that i am doing the right thing for them..not like growing up on grandpas farm fed and watered them and they took care of themselves. Yikes so much worry

6. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Sometimes chickens will dip deeply into water in an attempt to clean their nostrils. Of course, they get extra wet but the question is why. It could be anything from a little dust to plugged up sinuses. Like above poster said, check crops and poo. Also listen and watch for breathing problems, nasal discharge, coughing and sneezing. Please post your observations for more help. [​IMG]

7. medic lynny

May 29, 2014
    chicago suburban
    thank you..poop normal..sat with them for two hours not one sneeze cough or wheeze. .

8. medic lynny

May 29, 2014
    chicago suburban
    Thank you for responding! !

9. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    We'll wait for your crop check results...[​IMG]

10. medic lynny

May 29, 2014
    chicago suburban
    Well crops full last night down this am full tonight. Still having issue but not as bad.vets answer was metabolism slow due to cold so water cant get through full crop due to it not moving down as fast....and heat coop was answer.i decided not to heat this winter do to unstable electric lines at times here last winter was out for days... this summer a week....could not risk it i would loose all of them.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by