1. chickenluver24

chickenluver24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2014
    So I went out to feed my chickens and found that one of my chickens had passed due to her not recovering from the extreme cold we have had the last week or so(Ohio -15 to -20 at night -5 to 15 during the day) she was a leghorn and while we have a heat lamp out there it didn't help her, my golden comets are doing fairly well with the cold thank goodness, anyways we have another leghorn and I'm afraid she's getting sick like the one we lost but she has blue/green earlobes and she seems anemic, her comb is awfully pale compared to the comets, but her energy is pretty good not great but good and she's eating and drinking fine...anybody know why her earlobes would be that color? And any tips to help her anemia?? I don't know if that's from the cold or just she's an anemic chicken...I feel awful and I really don't want to lose another chicken :( If we had a safe place for her in the house I would've brought her in. I honestly thought she was getting better...also any suggestions on how to keep my girls warm would be greatly appreciated! Like I said we have a heat lap out there but obviously its not working for my cold intolerant Leghorn. *these are my first chickens*

2. chickenluver24

Apr 16, 2014
    Bump

3. chickenluver24

Apr 16, 2014
    Can any one help me please?

4. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Why do you think she is anemic? What are the temps like in the coop? Is it an enclosed chicken house?

5. chickenluver24

Apr 16, 2014
    I think she's anemic because of her comb being more pale than normal but it doesn't look like frostbite...what's freaking me out mostly is her earlobe color...inside the coop right now is good because its 20 out and the coop is above freezing I wouldn't say toasty warm but comfortable warm. when its - out I can't really say cause that's usually at night and I feed and check on them right before dark so its about 8-10 degrees and the coop is still usually comfortable. They usually huddle together and seem content doing that they've done that regardless of temp since we had them as chicks...the water has not frozen over from what me and my fiance can tell and its in closed with a slit for ventilation and cord for heat lamp.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  6. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    I don't think it is anemia. Combs change color due to hormones. My leghorn has blue earlobes.

If I thought the other bird died from the cold and I was really worried about the second leghorn dying I would bring her in at night, preferably into an unheated room so it isn't a huge difference from what she is used to. I am sure others will disagree but that is what I would do if I thought the temps were deadly.

If you leave her in the coop make sure all of the hens fill on up corn before they roost for the night, that should help a little. I would also put vaseline on her comb in the hope that it might help prevent frost bite. Leghorn combs are susceptible to it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  7. chickenluver24

Apr 16, 2014
    Ok I hope that's all it is is hormones...and its just weird cause her earlobes just changed like bam and I wasn't sure if it was from the cold or not. And corn I have some that I can give them I usually give it to them in snack form but I'll give them a big scoop tonight and tonight shouldn't be to bad but it starts getting -15 might have to clear out a spot in the garage specifically for her. And I forgot about the vasiline on their combs! Thank you for the advice hopefully it won't deadly drop again dang Ohio weather sucks.

8. medic lynny

medic lynny Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    chicago suburban
    Soooo the cold heat no heat ...i live in chicago its been Very cold here..mine do better with no up and downs..watch that they are not going from warm coop to freezing...if you bring in must stay in!! Also each chicken removed the less body heat for others..i only heat water. Look for different reason other than cold.good luck
    use alot of straw ....Watch humidity

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  9. chickenluver24

Apr 16, 2014

Thank you! I just hope this winter can go away real quick! I wonder if she wasn't smothered either...her being weak from whatever happened cold or what have you and she might not have been able to have the umpth to get up and away. But today my chickens are doing very very good! Even my other Leghorn, watching the weather and making sure it doesn't drop to -15 again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by