1. Hannahloveshens

Hannahloveshens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yesterday morning I went down to my chicks and my porcelain booted bantam chick was limping I picked her up and examined her and one of her legs on the joint is swollen and purple, I think it is badly bruised but not sure she is eating and drinking but keeping her foot up by her stomach she can move it and clenches her foot around my finger when I put it near, I have separated her and have been bathing her leg in Epsom salts, we cannot take her to the vet as there is no poultry vets for miles what should I do ! The swelling is quite hard but she doesn't bother when I touch it many thanks hannahloveshens

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks like her/his leg is badly sprained or broken. Are your chicks different ages and sizes? If your chick is in a brooder with other chicks, confined in a small area, I would try to get it back into the brooder with the others when you make sure it is eating and drinking. For sprains or beaks, it is best to rest the leg and give poultry vitamins in the water. The chick may get very lonely and not eat if kept separated, and it will be a nightmare for you to re-introduce the chick if it stays away for long. Of course, if they pick on the chick when you place it back into the brooder, then you will need to protect it with a little fence or screen. Being so little, it may heal in 2 weeks. Make sure they have plenty of room to spread out. If you can place her back into the group, then I would put a couple of chicks in with it.

3. Hannahloveshens

Mar 10, 2015
    Hi she Is in a box with one other chick she is eating and drinking fine all the other chicks in the other brooder where she was previously were all booted bantams, I have been bathing her leg in Epsom salts do you know a particular vitamin I should give her many thanks Hannah

4. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Epsom salt bath is good. Research slings. That would be a good option for this bird.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    The advice from Eggcessive is excellent..if you wish to give her additional vitamins..try vitamin b and e..if she does not put weight on her foot within a couple of days you might consider a "chick chair"..they are easy to make and will give her foot time to rest and hopefully heal back to normal...

6. tlreilly7

tlreilly7 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    It looks like it's dislocated. I had a turkey chick with the same problem. I am still researching how to help it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are many brands of poutry multiple vitamins at most feed stores. A powder vitamin added to the water is a good option, such as Rooster Booster Vitamins with Lactobacillus.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Hannahloveshens

Mar 10, 2015
    Hi thank you all for your help:thumbsup does anybody know how to make a chick chair as I cannot find any websites or pictures thank you all again hannahloveshens:goodpost:

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here are a few pictures of chick chairs that others have designed:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by