Help!

osuchic

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
I am relatively new to the raising chickens thing, and the coop I have came with the house. My chickens are free range during the day, but I would like for them to go back to the coop at night. Right now, they just roost up anywhere EXCEPT the coop. I take them out there every night, put them on the roost, and they still don't go on their own the next night. I spend an hour every night trying to find them to put them back. This has been happening for almost a year now. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

I have done that. They were in there for most of this winter since the temp was so low this year. We also just got back from a week long vacation in which they were shut in the coop/run. They just will not go in there at night. I don't know if it is too far away from the house or if they don't feel safe, but it's terible!

do you have a run attached to the coop at all that you can lure them back into? go out and throw some scratch or treats in the run, close it down and they'll go in the coop. sooner or later that will become the norm.......

sounds like they might just have a super bad case of 'cabin fever'!!!!
gig.gif

Have you gone out to the coop at night? My girls had a stint of sleeping outside. When I went out to close the people door one night I found a pair of rats that had moved in. No more problems after the rats were gone.

Oooo I didn't think about mice, but we have to set traps around our property all year round. We get several a week outside the barn and garage! Thanks for the tip!

We had 600.00 in plumbers bills this spring. Rat was eating through the pex tubing they used when plumbing our house. That was a very expensive rat. I hate using bait but the bank account isn't endless.

Back
Top Bottom