Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jessica89, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Jessica89

Jessica89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    Hey guys..
    I have been keeping a close eye on my ducks and the mating 'rituals' are getting worse.

Two drakes are ganging up on one of the females and pecking at her eyes.

I don't want to sell any of the drakes as they are pets but when I seperate one.. he gets distressed because he is on his own,

What should I do ?:( I can't bare to watch it... Why is duck mating so cruel and aggressive?!

2. Roy31

Roy31 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    pa
    How many hens do you have?

3. Jessica89

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    I have two hens and two drakes but they only focus on one hen ?

4. Roy31

Roy31 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    pa
    My advice is to get 2 more hens if you don't want to get rid of a male. If they keep picking on her, there is a possible chance they could kill her

5. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Put the 2 males together and the 2 females together so they leave her alone. That way he isn't by himself.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    2 people like this.
  6. Jessica89

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    Ok, I can seperate them in the day but I can't at night as they are all housed together.
    Will they be ok at night time?

I am going to get another two hens too and see if she gets a break.
    Can't believe how cruel they are.. horrible ducks!!! :mad:

7. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I wouldn't count on nighttime being better if they always go after her. You can try it but keep checking on them to make sure she is okay. Also be warned that 2 more females may not be enough. If it doesn't work out you need a back up plan of either running 2 flocks or rehoming him. My drake has 5 girls and he is very hormonal right now and would not feel comfortable with more than just him.

8. Jessica89

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    Eeek... Maybe I do have to rehome him but he has grown up with a hen and he gets really upset if he seperate them.

I can't afford to build another coop right now either.. If i seperate them in the day.. they might humbug even more at night?

Poor little angel.

I will try another 2 hens and see how it goes then will hvae to look at rehoming him :(

9. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Any way to put up a temporary fence inside their house so they can still be separated at night? It doesn't have to be fancy, just some chicken wire or a big board or something to keep the girls safe? I would still worry they will injure her overnight. :/

10. Jessica89

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    That could work actually... I will ask my dad when he gets in if he can make something.

It's really upsetting.. I don't understand how they can be so nasty with her. Im forevre chasing them off her with a stick like a mad woman!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by