Help!

Jessica89

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 9, 2014
North Wales
Hey guys..
I have been keeping a close eye on my ducks and the mating 'rituals' are getting worse.

Two drakes are ganging up on one of the females and pecking at her eyes.

I don't want to sell any of the drakes as they are pets but when I seperate one.. he gets distressed because he is on his own,

What should I do ?:( I can't bare to watch it... Why is duck mating so cruel and aggressive?!

My advice is to get 2 more hens if you don't want to get rid of a male. If they keep picking on her, there is a possible chance they could kill her

Ok, I can seperate them in the day but I can't at night as they are all housed together.
Will they be ok at night time?

I am going to get another two hens too and see if she gets a break.
Can't believe how cruel they are.. horrible ducks!!! :mad:

Ok, I can seperate them in the day but I can't at night as they are all housed together.

Will they be ok at night time?

I am going to get another two hens too and see if she gets a break.

Can't believe how cruel they are.. horrible ducks!!! :mad:

I wouldn't count on nighttime being better if they always go after her. You can try it but keep checking on them to make sure she is okay. Also be warned that 2 more females may not be enough. If it doesn't work out you need a back up plan of either running 2 flocks or rehoming him. My drake has 5 girls and he is very hormonal right now and would not feel comfortable with more than just him.

Eeek... Maybe I do have to rehome him but he has grown up with a hen and he gets really upset if he seperate them.

I can't afford to build another coop right now either.. If i seperate them in the day.. they might humbug even more at night?

Poor little angel.

I will try another 2 hens and see how it goes then will hvae to look at rehoming him :(

Any way to put up a temporary fence inside their house so they can still be separated at night? It doesn't have to be fancy, just some chicken wire or a big board or something to keep the girls safe? I would still worry they will injure her overnight. :/

That could work actually... I will ask my dad when he gets in if he can make something.

It's really upsetting.. I don't understand how they can be so nasty with her. Im forevre chasing them off her with a stick like a mad woman!

Back
Top Bottom