Helped a little too early

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rbaker0345, Sep 14, 2012.

1. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Hi,
    I am ashamed to say this, but I had a chick who had pipped all the way through the shell and and been this way for over 24 hours and I decided to help him out.

There is no yolk sac, but his abdomen looks yellow and distended and slightly undercooked.

I have been around the block a few times, I should have known not to put eggs in under my hen on two different dates, but my cockerel got killed a few days after she started setting and I really wanted to hatch some of his babies.

I think this youngster started pipping early because he heard his "on time" hatch mates.

If he has that early, mushy abdomen, can I keep some kind of emolient on it and maybe a betadine treatment, or is there something else I can do for this little guy?

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I just read something about intestines sticking (thats why we have to turn) I am not sure this had to do with you helping, dont blame yourself... I will see if I can find the article.... sorry to hear you lost him : (

3. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    http://www.avianweb.com/chickdeformiities.html try reading through some of the issues here. perhaps you could share a pic for eggtopsy ? to help others too?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Can you post a pic of it's abdomen so we can see? Was the membrane, veins, umbilical cord everything detached when you helped it out? Any blood? Sometimes the abdomen looks a bit weird just after they are born, especially when we help [​IMG] I then leave the chick under mommy/ in the brooder, keeping the area damp and they usually come right after awhile. Depending. But let's see yours before we decide.

5. rbaker0345

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its not dead, its quite alive, its bottom just looks very swollen and turgid. When I helped it, I didn't pull the membrane or the egg all the way off, I just opened it enough to look at the abdomen and then I put it back under its mama. This is what I found a couple of hours later.

6. rbaker0345

After I took these, I put a wound powder on the umbilical area, but there isn't any yolk exterior, the chick is very strong, its just swollen and weird looking.

7. rbaker0345

Could this be omphalitis?

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  9. rbaker0345

That's what I was thinking too, it has been so hot and humid around here. I tried to put a mat in the coop and I used sawdust bedding to try to cut down on the humidity, but the humidity is in the air, it was like 100 degrees, she spent whole hours off of the nest, presumably because it was so hot. Well, the little guy lost its fight shortly after I left my last post, but I did not do a necropsy, I just didn't have the heart. I also had a chick hatch from a pullet egg with a strange pocket of fluid on its chin and a single spraddled leg. I had to bring it in. The fluid is gone, but the spraddle leg made it dangerous to be with its standard brahma mama. She was scratching and she knocked the little guy over and he couldn't get up. I was wondering if the band aid method could be used for a single leg, but he seems to be using it better little by little on his own. I'd like to get him using it as quickly as possible so that I can give him back to his mama, but I don't want the band aid to hinder his good leg. I think I'm going to take it a day at a time.

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I was having that issue as well... the rain just wouldnt stop and the dehumidifier was running non stop!!
    I posted a great orthopedic site on the thread I started.... I will have to find it for you! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704328/diary-notes-air-cell-detatched-shipped-eggs

CHICKEN ORTHOPEDICS ~ (I have these saved in my favorites for hatch)

https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/72885/boot-for-curled-toes-on-3-month-old-chicken-update-w-pics
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by