Helped an older lady, with a walker by opening the door...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MeatKing, Oct 4, 2011.

1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

So I always stop to help, older people many of them remind me of someone I love..(And I will be older some day myself) So this lady was pushing a walker, and a paused for about a min, to wait and help her with the door.. When she got there, she said Thank-you but I can open the door myself... I said sorry, was just trying to help.. Thinking to myself, "I know the doors of this store are heavy and you know, it's the right thing to do?"

I will not let this stop me from helping people, I quite often meet this older man at our corner store and carry out his great big water jug..He never asked, I just picked up and and said which car is yous, where do you want it. He reminds me of how my Dad was, head strong enough and willing to carry it, but shoudn't be!!! Anyways, He always smiles and says Thank-You..

So what's with this lady, how do you know when is the correct time to stop and help, without making someone feel bad.. As I guess was this lady's case? As I know, I stopped at age 30 yup, didn't get a day older!!! I'm sure of it [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Some people might get offended because they dont want to feel crippled or something...
    And sometimes people are just miserable people inside.
    I wouldnt let that stop me from at least "trying" to help anyone though...

Me?? Heck..open the door for me and carry my crap anytime. [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You know what, you have the correct attitude. Continue to help or offer to help. If someone has a problem with that, it's their problem not yours. I applaud you. [​IMG]

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Don't let her stop you from helping people...the rest of us want the help! LOL

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'm 55 but I have to use a walker. Very awkward beast to get around with. Yet here in rural SC, lots of people ignore me. Oddly enough, the folks at the feed store act like loading 50 lbs. of feed is a huge favor. [​IMG]

I would have let you open the door and thanked you profusely. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  6. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    Keep on doin' what your doin'. I don't use a walker but still thank a person when they hold a door open for me, and they thank me for doing the same. Nothing beats good manners!

7. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I always give a mischevious little smile and say "I'm just trying to get my good deed for the day out of the way so I don't have to another one until tomorrow". Gets a laugh evey time. [​IMG]

8. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sherry, that's perfect!

MeatKing, You absolutely did the right thing! Sometimes people with infirmities go overboard trying to stay independent. She has probably been thinking about the whole encounter all day wishing she could go back in time and thank you the way she should have. Sometimes other unrelated circumstances make over-react to innocent people. Please accept this apology on her behalf. Betcha a nickel she wishes she could do it herself.

My dad used to say if you always do what you know is right you won't ever look back with regret.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Working in public transit, I meet all kinds of people with special needs. Many are elderly, many are disabled, physically and mentally. I ALWAYS ask them first if they would like some help. We have one lady in an over-sized power chair that takes a good 10 minutes to get into our office, and she always refuses help while we sit there cringing that she is gonna hurt herself.

I have come across elderly that come in for a senior ID card then refuse to have their picture taken. I have had people who appear to be able to do anything take us up on our offer. People are all different.

10. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    I was taught if they are older give'em a hand. Well manners ain't what they used to be kids are not taught these things anymore. Now I have white hair & still opening doors when someone is nice enough to do this for me I do at least say thank-you with a really big smile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by