helped hatching

mulberrychicks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 4, 2007
My bantam has just hatched out 4 chicks over the past 48 hours. The fifth was half hatched this morning when the broody decided to leave the nest and move her new chicks out to feed and drink. She did not return to the half hatched egg, but settled outside the nest, leaving the hatching chick to go cold. I helped the cold little chick out of the shell and popped it under the mother with the other chicks. However the broody then led the chicks away, leaving the new hatchling. I have brought the chick into the house to warm it up. It is still uncurling, but it has got a loud cheep on it. Any suggestions as to what I do now? Should I later try putting it back under the mum and just hope for the best? I have got another broody bantam due to hatch tomorrow, should I try popping it under her? I don't really want to rear a single chick.
Thanks
Sarah

Last edited:
Maybe you could keep trying to give it back to its mom (maybe at night would be best) and if that doesn't work then slip it under the other Mom as hers start to hatch. Let us know how this turns out.
smile.png

If she left the baby....she knows there might be something wrong with it. You may have to try to raise this one alone. Once it is dry, and taking in feed and water...try putting it in with her. She might take it then. Good luck, let us know.

Well, I waited till the chick was dry and on his feet (although still staggering), then I put him back with mum and other chicks. She didn't appear to reject him, and when I popped back in ten minutes later there was no sign of him, so I am assuming that he is snuggled up under her. Fingers crossed he's strong enough to survive.
Sarah

The chick got weaker and on two occasions, I thought it had gone and removed it, only for it to give a little chirp. I gave it some sweet water and by the afternoon it took a few chick crumbs. It was getting a little stronger, but still was not standing properly. It was so distressed away from its mother. So I have taken the decision this evening to put it back under her. I do not think it will survive, but at least it is where it wants to be. This morning we had another chick from another bantam fail to get out of its shell, I took the decision not to help this one.
So sad when they fail to thrive, however between our two bantams we do seem to have 8 healthy chicks. All we now have to do is try to identify what breeds they are.
Sarah

Back
Top Bottom