Helpful advice needed for my Little Beans hot leg!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hmmcc123, Jul 21, 2011.

1. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    I really could used some helpful advice for my "adopted out of pity" (4 month old Easter Egger) pullet. Gracie (I call her Little Beans.) came to us for free with her "sister" Millie (4 month old Buff Orpington) that we purchased. I went to go purchase her "sister" and Little Beans was her best friend. I could see right away that they needed each other and I could also see that Gracie needed me. I know it wasn't the best decision to take her but my heart made me do it. Little Beans had broken toes from a previous dog attack and a fresh eye injury from a new attack by the same dog. She is also half the size she should be. I am guessing her size could be a result of her injuries.

When I got her home I got to work on her. I added vitamins to her water and rinsed her eye with saline once a day. After a few days of this, it didn't seem to be getting any better. Finally, her eye was sealed shut pretty well. I was able to get the lids separted with warm water and then applied a triple antibiotic ointment to it to aid in healing and to keep the lids from sticking together. At this point I wasn't even sure if she could see out of the eye. During this treatment I noticed she was sneezing and had sticky gooey nasal discharge in the nostral opposite her injured eye. I removed the discharge and it didn't seem to return but the sneezing continued. I decided to go ahead and put her on an antibiotic because with all her issues, I felt it couldn't hurt at this point. I treated her for a week with the Duramycin 10. To top it all off, during all of this, this poor chicken was itching and pecking at her feathers. I turned her over and started looking at her belly and under her wings and I discovered she had lice. Ugh. Her sister had them too. So into a bath they both went as the feed store was closed for me to puchase poultry dust. She loved her bath and really enjoyed the blow dry. However, after looking at her again, not only did she have lice but also mites. I was feeling SO awful for this poor little lady!! [​IMG]

So now, after all of this treatment, comes the reason for my post. I noticed that she pecks at her toes like they are irritating her. So, I decided that maybe the circulation to the toes was maybe cut off and they felt wierd or something. So, I started manually (and gently) stretching her broken toes out with the hopes of helping stretch the tendons a bit and get circulation flowing. I have been doing this for about 4 days. Well, today, I noticed (as I happened to touch both legs at the same time) her injured foot and attached leg feels warm to hot and her normal leg feels cool, like the rest of my chicken's legs. I am wondering if I may have irritated it or maybe it is infected or something? I do not plan on taking the free chicken to the vet as it is not a finacial option. Does anyone have any advice on what it could be and/or what I should do about it?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by