helpful rooster!

stcroixusvi

Songster
8 Years
May 5, 2011
Western NC
My Coop
My Coop
We have a golden laced rooster, Stevie, the leader of our twenty-two 19 week-old chickens. One of the chickens has laid 2 eggs (
lol.png
) a week and a couple of days apart, but that's it. The first egg was in the run, and the second one was right in the middle of a nest box.

Today I heard a commotion in the coop and went out to investigate. When I opened up the egg door, Stevie was in one of the nests, looking back into the coop, making his little pip pip pipping noise. A crowd of hens had gathered around to see why he was so noisy. He looked like he was lecturing the curious hens on how the nests work!

I love it when my Roos show the nest boxes to the hens. It's so cute!

One day my largest rooster, a huge Black Jersey Giant, had squeezed himself wattles and beak first into a 10x10 nest box, and a hen was in it with him. They had to twist and turn and maneuver for Bart to get out of that nest box from behind her. Cracked us all up!

Roosters will call the girls over to a treat (bug, worm, seeds) and then they will stand back and guard their girls while the girls eat.
A good rooster will throw himself between a hen and a predator. A good rooster is worth his weight in gold!

I had never experienced the "helpful" rooster since having chickens. To be honest, no offense, I thought some of the stories here were exaggerations...
hide.gif

Until I met "Charlie". This bantam buff cochin boy has completely stolen my heart and I caught him doing just what you describe here the other day. I kept hearing strange noises from the nest boxes and went to investigate and found him sitting in the box "chuckling" to the ladies...L O L

My other roosters were also opportunistic rapists who would grab the nearest girl, wrestle her to the ground, and have their way with her... but not Charlie. He dances around, one wing down, tries to woo the ladies, and if they ignore him or run away, he watches them go and finds them a treat as penance for insulting their dignity by daring to imply they would be so un-chaste as to agree to "romancing" outside of wedlock...
gig.gif

My rooster, Bo, is all that and then some! He's gentle with all his ladies, but when Lily (his best girl
hugs.gif
) goes in to lay he stands guard at the door so no one will disturb her.
big_smile.png
We'll keep him for awhile!

BigDaddy'sGurl :

I had never experienced the "helpful" rooster since having chickens. To be honest, no offense, I thought some of the stories here were exaggerations...
hide.gif

Until I met "Charlie". This bantam buff cochin boy has completely stolen my heart and I caught him doing just what you describe here the other day. I kept hearing strange noises from the nest boxes and went to investigate and found him sitting in the box "chuckling" to the ladies...L O L

My other roosters were also opportunistic rapists who would grab the nearest girl, wrestle her to the ground, and have their way with her... but not Charlie. He dances around, one wing down, tries to woo the ladies, and if they ignore him or run away, he watches them go and finds them a treat as penance for insulting their dignity by daring to imply they would be so un-chaste as to agree to "romancing" outside of wedlock...
gig.gif

This is exactly Stevie's style. And your description of the others fits ours as well.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom