Helpful tips?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Maz-Sybil-Edith, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Maz-Sybil-Edith

Maz-Sybil-Edith New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    Hey guys, I'm planning on buying some chickens within the next few weeks and am a first time owner. I have read up on care details but was wondering if anyone knew any hints and tips to help me on my way. Things such as using apple cider vinegar as a fly deterant and to help my hens stay healthy. Any comments much appreciated :)

2. sushicat2000

sushicat2000 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    Putting a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar in their water is supposed to help with digestion. It's also good to give them a dust bath every once in a while if they don't have access to sand or dirt. Our dust baths usually consist of ashes, sand, and diatomaceous earth ( the diatomaceous earth is tiny razor sharp rocks that prevent lice and other bugs in their feathers. If you use it, you'll need a mask around your nose and mouth so you don't breath in any.) Hope I helped![​IMG] Good luck with your chickens!

3. Maz-Sybil-Edith

Maz-Sybil-Edith New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    Thank you very much, ill make sure they have access to a dust bath of some kind. I cant wait! thanks again :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by