Helping a bird survive heat exhaustion

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mbean15, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Mbean15

Mbean15 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    TX
    Hello everyone, today i went to gather the eggs and saw -what i thought was- a dead hen, curled up against the fence. I went to go get my husband since he is on body duty this time, and he went to grab her and surprise surprise she's not dead, but she is stuck under the fence, and barely moving.
    We put her neck-deep into a bucket of cool water, and gave her water with a little sugar and salt, and then just plain water. She's inside now on a towel with a fan blowing on her. She is not standing, she is not drinking on her own and she is occasionally moving her head like a type writer, slow then snapping it back. Seizures maybe? I'll see if i can get a video. She is also clucking, albeit weak and infrequent, maybe twice in half an hour.
    If i move her she kicks, if i keep trying to give her water she moves away. I have no idea how long she was stuck but we are in Texas and it is still warm here.

Is there anything else i can do for her at this point, and should i expect her not to survive the night with the symptoms she is having?
    [​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

From your description, it sounds like your hen may be seizing. I haven't dealt with heat stroke in my flock, but others on BYC have - here's a thread that may help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/550014/chicken-survived-a-heat-stroke. See the electrolyte recipe - baking soda may be helpful for electrolyte replenishment.

I hope your hen feels better soon.

3. Mbean15

May 10, 2016
    TX
    She is gone. ):

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry for your loss. Things like this can happen. Chickens can get themselves into bad situations in the best of facilities. Don't beat yourself up, and remember that it can happen to any of us. You tried your best to help her.

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

My condolences.

6. Mbean15

May 10, 2016
    TX
    Thanks guys, I thought it was going to be a long shot. It's tough because she was our #1 hen and had a BFF who loved and followed her everywhere, they even sat in the nesting box together, even if she wasn't a layer.
    It makes me feel like a bad chicken momma every time, even if there was nothing i could have done. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by