Helping a sprained hip without separating

Bluepheonix13255

Chirping
Oct 4, 2021
Knoxville, Tennessee
I have a chicken whose been limping I'll say moderately. I know she doesn't have bumblefoot- her feet are the same temperature and free of sores. I probed her legs just hard enough to get a reaction out of an injury, and it's just above where her "furry" feathers start.
I panicked at first as I know little. My grandfather said she problem sprained it, and that seemed obvious afterward.
I've lowered one of our longer perches to alittle below waist height and have one just below knee height. The main three are in a triangle- low side towards the door. A healthy chicken can obviously manage this, and even the injured one can without issue, but her condition changes alittle day by day. It's never enough to immobilize her. Sometimes almost hopping sometimes walking almost normal. In addition- no one is bullying her over it.
Onto my actual question:
Is there something I can do for her without separating her? I'm not totally against it, but thought I'd atleast ask if someone had a solution that is easier on her.

On bad days she old stands on one leg unless she's standing still for a few minutes, but on food she is mostly flat footed. I got to thinking earlier, and it seems that the problem is getting on an off the perches with the sprain.
I lowered the one facing their doorway by like 6 inches, and am now certain that that height will not pose a problem. Upon thinking further I found the ideal solution assuming I'm correct.
I visit every night alittle before their bedtime, and every morning, so I'll separate her, but only at night. As it seems that the shock of landing is what is aggravating her sprain.

On bad days she old stands on one leg unless she's standing still for a few minutes, but on food she is mostly flat footed. I got to thinking earlier, and it seems that the problem is getting on an off the perches with the sprain.
I lowered the one facing their doorway by like 6 inches, and am now certain that that height will not pose a problem. Upon thinking further I found the ideal solution assuming I'm correct.
I visit every night alittle before their bedtime, and every morning, so I'll separate her, but only at night. As it seems that the shock of landing is what is aggravating her sprain.
Has your hen’s sprain improved? One of my gals has a sprain, which started over a week ago. I took her to the vet yesterday to make sure I am treating her for the right injury. So far rosin salt baths in the morning and then rest time in the guest bathroom for a few hours, before she gets restless. The vet gave me an anti inflammatory and told me to limit her jumping around as much as possible.

I setup the wire cage in the coop and she freaks out and jumps around banging on the cage door to get out. She does not like being separated at all! The separation stresses her out and has her trying to break out of jail. So I am not able to separate her. For now I am going to keep up with the morning spa ritual and now anti inflammatory. I figure as long as she allows this to happen a few hours a day is better than nothing.
I am curious how your girl’s recovery is coming along?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom