Helping an adult imprinted duck?

Milkyisa

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2019
hello, I've recently rescued a 9 month old pekin duck. She is really adorable, loves being around people and cuddling, but seems a little socially inept around my other ducks.
She came from a family who couldn't keep her because of the landlord, and when I got her she was all on her own.
I noticed she got waterlogged quickly etc so I'm not sure how much they knew about duck keeping. I feel sorry for her because she really bonded with the family and has never been with ducks before!

She is getting used to being outside during the day, but will regularly call for me to come and sit with her, as well as sitting on my back door step waiting for me patiently.
I'Ve been letting her sleep in a carrier crate in my room for the nights, and back out in the morning!
She really is like a little toddler,
I know she has imprinted on humans, but is there anyway she will gradually feel more comfortable with my flock?
She barely interacts with them currently, they call for her when she goes in at night but she doesn't care!

She is cute, and I hope she settles soon, please give me some tips as I have never had an imprinted duck let alone an adult imprinted duck!!

When my Muscovy drake (who was raised by me) inside because his mama rejected him, at 12 weeks I decided it was time for him to go and live with the others. At that time we had stalls set up inside our houses since we had multiple drakes and they required their own bedrooms so I had to take my boy out there and put him in the stall at bedtime. He had spent Many a day outside with the others but slept in a dog crate in my room at night. I can honestly say that was very hard listening to him trying to get out and being Muscovy and can climb I had to put a piece of heavy wood over the top of the stall top to keep him inside it took about a week before he finally settled down. I also went and got him 3 females of his own so after that he was a busy boy getting to know his new girlfriends. And since they were all the same age they bonded in no time. If you have a mellow duck you might put your imprinted one with her for a few days and let them bond then introduce the the rest. Just make sure they don’t pick in her since she is the newbie.

Last edited:
I have a duck who was imprinted on chickens. Just moving her to the ducks her age intimidated her. We had a Cockerel move with her than she seemed fine and even went to the pond when they were several months. Unfortunately one night when our dog could not be here the cockerel disappeared from his tree by the pond. The duck? She climbed the steps to get
Into the chicken coop. One Drake was persistent following her during the day. He never went in the coop but he got her to go to the pond occasionally. Maybe you could pair her with one other Drake or duck.

Thank you all so much! A week has passed and she has been accepted fully as a new flock member!
(My drake even seems happier, and has been a lot more cuddly to me)
It was difficult to sleep through her calling out, but she ended up tiring herself out quickly enough and the other ducks helped her snooze off.
I won't miss waking up at the crack of dawn to put her back outside!

She's still very cuddly, but less attached to me and has made friends with the other ducks. She still looks at me longingly :(
I wonder if she thinks she is a human or she just wants to be!

Back
Top Bottom