Helping Baby Duck Hatch / Survive

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by scottpoliseno, Apr 17, 2019.

1. scottpoliseno

scottpoliseno In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2019
    So, i am completely out of my element here as i am not experienced with this sort of thing. We had a mallard lay 16 eggs in our front yard. In one day, about 10 hatched. One duck poked his beak through the egg but never progressed. Mom left with the babies that hatched within 24 hours and didn't come back. It was 48 hours later and the baby duck still hadn't progressed but was still alive chirping and moving a little. His movements started fo slow and his temp was low so i felt it was time to help. I assisted with some egg opening and removal but haven't moved further. See pics. There was almost 0 blood in opening the egg but it looks like he is still attached to his yolk sac. I have the temp on him at about 88 degrees.

What should i do next?

Attached Files:

casportpony likes this.
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Welcome to BYC!

First thing I would do is raise the temperature to at least 95 f because I think 88 is too cold.

@Pyxis and @WVduckchick , what would you do?

DuckyDonna and WVduckchick like this.
  3. scottpoliseno

Apr 17, 2019
    I am trying... i have limited tools right now. I have it up to 93 directly on him. My guess is to leave him be because his sac does not look ready to come off.

4. scottpoliseno

Apr 17, 2019
    His yolk sac is very pink... it is hard to see. I tried to enhance the pic

Attached Files:

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Is he in an incubator or under a lamp?

WVduckchick likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "Be Strong in the Lord"

It won’t come off it will absorb into his body that is what he’ll live off of the yolk sac for a couple of days.

7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I would leave it just like it is for now, wait for that blob to absorb into the abdomen. You could put it in a bowl, lined with dry paper towels, just to prop up the head a little, and keep him from trying to move around any. From what I can see down in the egg, it looks like it should absorb within a few more hours. Good job!

Editing to add - I agree on raising the temperature a bit, if you can. Just don't get it too hot. If anything, err on the cooler side, rather than too hot.

8. scottpoliseno

Apr 17, 2019
    He is not in an incubator. He is under a warning lamp that I had.

DuckyDonna and WVduckchick like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: