Helping chick hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by erkieka, Mar 7, 2015.

1. erkieka

erkieka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2014
    This is my first time hatching chicks and so far everything has gone well except for one egg. I noticed the chick started unzipping the egg at around 8:30. The chick had made a fair amount of progress but after an hour quit. I figured it was just taking a break but it is now almost midnight and the chick hasn't made any more progress. I am able to tell that it is still breathing. Is now the time to step in and help?

2. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    They can take 24 hours to hatch after the first pip. I don't recommend helping them out at this point unless it pipped on the wrong end of the egg. Just be patient and check again in the morning.

3. erkieka

Apr 18, 2014
    Well it's not just pipped. It's unzipped almost all the way around the egg. Once it quit making progress its hasn't tried any further. From what I've read it sounds like that once they start to unzip it should only be an hour before they're out. I'm wanting to verify if that's true. I know that once the others started the unzipping process it was less than 30 minutes before they were out.

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    It's likely just resting. Hatching typically takes 24 hours from the first external pip. Some zip continuously until they just pop right out, others will zip a little and rest for hours before continuing. There's no rushing the process, they need to be fully ready to hatch before they come out. How is it doing now?

5. erkieka

Apr 18, 2014
    He started moving some and I can see where he's trying to punch through the shell. However, he's not moving around the shell and he's just punching through in one area.

6. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    So it's been about 12 hours since he first pipped, right? He's still well within the normal time frame for hatching if that is the case, so I would just continue to be patient and let him do his work. Some just take longer. They have to wait until they have absorbed all of their yolk and blood from the membrane, so there is no rush for him to get out. I'd only start to worry if it had been more than 24 hours of him resting after starting to zip.

7. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    Is the chick not making any progress at all? Can you take a picture of the egg? I'd say if the chick has been trying to hatch for close to 24 hours you can try to carefully and slowly remove some of the shell around the hole. Don't leave him out of the incubator for too long, and make sure the egg is "hydrated" or he risks being shrink wrapped. Also, do not force the chick out of the egg. It may still be absorbing the yolk sac. Just open the end up a little bit and then put the chick/egg back in the incubator to rest.

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yes generally that is right. It can take 24 from pip to zip, but once they start pipping it's usually a start to finish stage. I would be concerned. If you haven't already and he's still alive, I woud definitely assist. *I-personally.*

9. erkieka

Apr 18, 2014
    I did end up assisting. I wasn't sure when he had pipped because the other chicks had rolled the egg but he was able to roll the egg a little and I could see what looked like the membrane was restricting his movement. I kept watching and he was trying to get out but just wasn't able to finish zipping. I made the call to assist and it was a good thing I did because the membrane was suctioned onto him. I don't think he would have made it out on his own. Right now he's hopping around happily in the incubator but he's not able to fluff out. I just need to decide if I want to take a dry toothbrush to him or give him a warm bath. I've read about people using both methods.

10. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Ok, you made the right call then since the membrane was dried onto him! Glad you got him out. Good job! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by