Helping Chicks Hatch? Information why or why not

savannahRoos22

Songster
Oct 13, 2017
What do you think of helping a chick hatch?

Here's what I have to back up my opinion:
  • If the humidity is too dry, the chicks get "shrink-wrapped" by the membrane, which dries out and turns sticky - preventing the chicks from rotating in the shell. If the humidity is too low during any part of the incubation period, this can result in chick death at any stage of its development.
This is why you should help open the egg of a chick that just pipped Because their membrane may be dried out (or may soon dry out), they may have oxygen issues, they're too big to position themselves any further. So many pippers die! Although you don't want to break veins. And if they're having trouble hatching, you would think you should add more water or a cloth to help it not dryout but this can drown it. Don't leave a struggling chick laying there, exhausted.

I understand the quick thought of helping to be disasterous but don't single out a single comment. There's research to be done and each hatch is different! It's all my posts in this thread, replies, video, comments together that are my full representation. I was expecting issues to come up when I posted this thread.

Last edited:
What do you think of completely helping a chick hatch?

Here's what I have to back up my opinion:
  • If the humidity is too dry, the chicks get "shrink-wrapped" by the membrane, which dries out and turns sticky - preventing the chicks from rotating in the shell. If the humidity is too low during any part of the incubation period, this can result in chick death at any stage of its development.
This is why you should help open the egg of a chick that just pipped Because their membrane may be dried out (or may soon dry out), they may run out of oxygen, they're too big to position themselves any further. So many pippers die! Although you don't want to break veins. And if they're having trouble hatching, you would think you should add more water or a cloth to help it not dryout but this can drown it. Don't leave a struggling chick laying there, exhausted.

COMPLETELY false. "So many pippers die"?? You really need to fix your incubation techniques if that's the case. Almost every bird that pips hatches unless you stink at incubating. Just "helping to open the egg of a chick that just pipped" is probably the worst idea I've heard yet. Don't get me wrong, I assist when needed, but that's a grand way to kill a lot of chicks in short order. Once chicks have pipped they will NOT "run out of Oxygen", as you say. Kindly do some research on incubating.

:he

Actually, completely accurate. So many pippers do die and so many die before pipping also. That's not my point though.

All I'm trying to do is find ways to have more creatures in this world hatch and live. And I personally think not helping is cruel.
Watch this:
(Minute: 50:37)

2. If hatching under a broody, does the broody hen *help them along*? Nope. Natural selection again.
I agree with your point of view, but just thought I'd stick in that broodies picking shell off hatching chicks has been documented... just as an aside.

I assist my stuck chicks. I try to have as many birds as possible survive. What I don't do is assist prematurely like the OP is suggesting and jeopardize the health of the bird and chance for its survival.

Not at all! Even professionals, knowing all knowledge, exact science incubating has embryos die.
Embryos are going to die, sure, but if, and I quote, "So many pippers die" then you ARE doing something wrong. Hatch rates in home eggs should hover close to or above 90%.

Back
Top Bottom