1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Helping Chicks Hatch

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Chicken Dave, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Chicken Dave

Chicken Dave Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Tyngsborough, MA
    i am new at hatching eggs. i put four eggs in an incubator and when i candled them i could see little chicks inside. now it has been 21 days and they havent hatched. i was wondering if i should put a hole in the shell to help the chick hatch? if not what should i do with the eggs if they dont hatch?

Thanks for your concern,
    Chicken Dave

(i have 4 rhode island red hens,2 aracauna hens, and one old english bantum rooster and 3 hens)

2. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Give 'em a little bit longer. If they are still moving around, they are ok. Can you candle them again and check? You should see some heads above into the air sac at this point. It's possible your heat was just a smidge low which would make them take just a bit longer to hatch, if they are still alive.

Stacy

3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    First, welcome to BYC.

I would leave them alone. Sometimes it takes a little longer than 21 days. It depends on if your temp. was running low. Every time that you open the incubator, then you lose valuable humidity. It doesn't matter if you open it quickly, you still lose the humidity that the chicks need in order to get out of the egg.

I would not try to candle them at this time. I would just give them another day or two.

Good luck.

Dorothy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by