Helping chicks out of eggs.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yoker, May 17, 2009.

1. yoker

yoker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    What are the problems with helping a baby chick out of the egg when it is too tired to get out it self?

2. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    You can break thier cord and/or they have not totally sucked in the yolk.
    It usually causes bleeding

3. yoker

Jul 7, 2008
    I just pick at the shell where thay started to hatch and let them do the rest

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've never hatched, but several books I read on the subject suggest that a chick that is not strong enough to break free of its own shell is not strong enough to survive life in the barnyard.

5. yoker

Jul 7, 2008
    Yay but I can't find the guts to just leave it in the shell.

6. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I agree with gritsar, but sometimes it is our fault they are having trouble hatching all the way. I think raising the lid on the bator lets out the moisture and that can hnder them. So some help is necessary, sometimes. I also think more of the very dark shells seems so thick and hard that these chicks have a harder time than usual. I think it's best to let them alone if possible, but you can save a life if you act at the proper time.

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I have not helped any under a broody, but I have helped some in a bator, especially if I let the humidity drop too low, making the shell harder than what it should be.

8. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Quote:\\

I agree with Marlin. Broodies are much better than any incubator. Unfortunately, broodies can't be turned on and off and can't hold hundreds of eggs... so we opt for the artificial version. I agree some chicks don't hatch because of vigor they may lack. However, artificial circumstances make things more difficult for them. If a chick is having trouble in a bator, I always help. I find it very hypocritical to set up an artificial hatching situation then sit back and say let them do it naturally [​IMG]

If they've pipped the air cell and have been peeping for a day or two, you can pip a small hole in the bottom of the egg and peek in there. Now, the chick has air. If you can peek in there, check for a powdery white membrane... this means the humidity was too low for hatch (main cause of hatching problems) and its definitely time to help. Be careful once you get toward the pointy part of the egg (where the chicks bottom is). The cord needs to be cut with little scissors so it doesn't get pulled off of the navel... this causes excessive bleeding and can kill the chick. Learn from this and up your humidity next time.

9. yoker

Jul 7, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies!!
    Just wanted to know when you should and when you souldn't help.

10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    When they'be been peeping for a couple days with no progress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by