Helping feathers grow back?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mountainbunny, Apr 12, 2017.

1. mountainbunny

mountainbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2016
    Central Arkansas
    I have 5 hens and one rooster. I had to separate the rooster from then hens because he was over mating them and they are starting to loose feathers on their backsides from it. A couple of them have bald patches. I tried chicken saddles for the bald ones but it hasn't been much help... And they manage to get the saddles off after a couple of weeks. I separated them yesterday. I'm curious if their is something like maybe a supplement I can give them to help promote regrowth. They still have a full bag of layer crumbles for feed. Is there anything I can add to it or just give them that will help with regrowth of feathers? Any advice is much appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    The saddles will protect their backs until the feathers regrow, but will not help regrow the feathers.
    They aren't a perfect solution, especially if you have a particularly rough rooster, but they usually lessen the damage.
    I usually see more damage this time of year (spring) as they are doing their spring thing!
    Making new feathers takes a lot of energy and protein. Sometimes the feathers don't come back until the next molt.
    You can try upping the protein in their feed, mix in or switch to a higher protein feed. Make sure you are offering oyster shell for calcium free choice as the non layer feeds do not have enough calcium for laying hens.
    Some chickens are escape artists from saddles, but I just put them back on when they get them off. Part of the daily routine.
    Most of them get used to them and leave them on most of the time.
    It will just take time for new feathers.

3. mountainbunny

mountainbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2016
    Central Arkansas
    Thank you for the reply. I just realized that the last bag of crumbles I bought was game bird feed so the higher protein in it is a plus. I also give them BOSS and mealworms as treats.
    Hopefully separating the rooster from them will give them a much needed break.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by