1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Helping momma duck...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DVTO2, May 9, 2011.

1. DVTO2

DVTO2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    So my muscovy has laid eight eggs. My present set up is a nest in a dog house in a 10' by 10 ' enclosed pen. The drake is still still in there her for now. After the ducklings are hatched, what food do I put out? Will the duck eat the ducklings food she is brooding them or how best to manage that?

2. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:mama can eat the crumbles along with the babies... she'll probably need the extra protien after near starving herself for a month. You'll want to move the drake if he's 1) dragging her off the nest while she's brooding and 2) once the babies hatch or he might just gobble them up one by one.

My drake sits near the hens without bothering them when they're both broody because he's lonely and finds my non-Muscovy to be inferior waterfowl [​IMG] But as long as there's one girl out to pal around with he's happy to free-range with her. I'd like to think he won't eat the babies but I've just heard too many horror stories to try it out.

3. DVTO2

Mar 10, 2010
    Thanks!

4. DVTO2

Mar 10, 2010
    What percent protein for ducklings?

5. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I start with 24% then at 1 month I decrease (gradually) by adding 18% gamebird pellets. Provide brewers yeast for niacin or just make sure they have plenty of greens each day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by