helping my duck hatch need help quickly!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AHappychick, Dec 24, 2008.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Ok I have had my last duck trying to hatch for almost 48 hours, all the others finished hatching yesterday afternoon. there was just a small hole that it had made, by last night (early this morning) I picked the hard part away around leaving the membrane except where it originally pipped through, there was a little blood I got nervous and set it back down. all day today it had done nothing but stretch it a little, but has not broken through the membrane. I can still see it breathing. Several times I have wet a home made long Qtip and through the vent hole moistened the membrane a bit but still it can not come out. I am Not sure how to proceed at the moment. I finally have an opportunity to open the bator (I have had chicks hatching today as well) and would like to assist again because I just don't think it is going to come out on its own, but I only have one shot at this seeing as I need to take out the 2 chicks that are dry anyway but still have a few eggs and don't want to lift the lid more than once. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks [​IMG]

2. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    bump

3. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Since it has been over 48 hours and the others have all hatched on their own I would guess that the yolk has been absorbed and this one is just stuck.
    I would go ahead and ring the top of the shell like they zip, tear the membrane away and get this one out.
    Do be aware though that sometimes there is a reason that they don't hatch and you might find a defective duckling in there. I've been there and done that myself.
    Hoping for the best, db

4. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:well I hatched it and you were right its belly was distended and deformed as if it never went into his body. I put it in a bag and burried it in the snow hoping that it would be the most humane death possible. Oh well this is nature, besides I have 8 perfect little quakers so that is plenty.

5. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Sorry about your little duckie so sad.. [​IMG] I got one like that now too that I think is a goner..not sure no movement at all just sitting there with its beak sticking through the hole of egg alittle for lots of hours now and no movement at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by