Helping pullet gain weight

OreoH

Songster
Jul 18, 2020
Hi! I had a 6 week chick who got a little sick last week. After a stressful few days, she's mostly back to normal. I noticed that she either lost quite a bit of weight during her isolation, or she isn't quite keeping up with the others. It's interesting because she's definitely rounder than the others, but not as tightly packed. I think she eats about the same as her sisters, she isn't as interested in greens, but she tends to claim all the oats for herself (her head goes to peck the oats 3 times faster than the others lol). Any tips on how I can help her gain some weight? Food, or exercise, or toys etc. Is there any way I can keep the other more aggressive chicks from her while she eats? So far, my strategy has been to split them up into the aggressive ones and the ones lower in the pecking order.

Also, any tips on boosting her immune system. This chick has been the "problem chick" since they were a few days old. She had an explosive case of pasty butt and then the drooling (last week) and now this. Thanks for the help!

Oats and greens aren't a good diet for a 6 week old chick. A good fresh starter is best. Chicks should get only the starter for at least 8 weeks to avoid problems. Feed should be out constantly, and multiple feeders should be used so all birds can eat.

They do have full day access to the chick starter, and the six together usually clear 1-2 bottles a day. The oats and greens are supplements and are never more than 5-10 percent of their diet. Are they still a bad idea?

What type of oats? What type of greens?

If a chick has been sickly since hatch than it's possible it has some sort of birth defect that keeps it behind the others.

What type of oats? What type of greens?

If a chick has been sickly since hatch than it's possible it has some sort of birth defect that keeps it behind the others.
Raw, chopped oats (with minced garlic), basil, mint, and oregano, sometimes watermelon.

I give them shovels of gravelly dirt with every treat. I'll definitely slow down with the treats then. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom