helping the little ones?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bantamz, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Bantamz

Bantamz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    my house
    is it ok to help a chick break its egg shell? (when its hatching)[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Its really best to let them handle the hatching themselves. Its hard to keep your hands off, but better in the long run...

3. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    Everyone has their own opinions about this so you really have to follow your own gut. It is best if incubation conditions are right for eggs to hatch unassisted but if that wasn't possible, I do assist chicks if they appear to be malpositioned (12+ hours after external pip in air cell or 24+ hours after non air cell external pip) or if they start to zip but appear to get stuck after some hours. There is an assisted hatching article you can check out if you think your chick might be in distress. Good luck!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  5. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    You only want to consider helping them out as an absolute last resort. It's true that most of the time if they can't hatch out on their own then they really weren't meant to be and will die anyway. But I think in some cases it's ok to help (like if they are important/expensive eggs or are malpositioned inside the egg). In those cases I think it's ok to at least give them a chance. I just had one duckling pip on the wrong end of her egg and was unable to turn inside to unzip, so she absolutely needed help to get out. She is 8 days old now and doing great!

6. Bantamz

Bantamz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    my house
    ok thanks[​IMG] i might try to have one of my heavy breads and bantam have chicks[​IMG] im not sure were getting bantams tho[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by