Helping to Hatch now!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenJill, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ChickenJill

ChickenJill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    I am the one whose daughter turned up the heat to 120 degrees about day 10. On day 14 or so I had movement in almost all of the eggs (42 of them) but recently realized that they all died about that point. Except for 2 of them. They both moved (rolled) on day 21 and today is 22. So I cracked open the large end and I can se the white membrane with movement behind it, but I am not sure what do do next... there are a lot of blood vessels in the membrane and if I gently wet the membrane I can see movement and black feathers but no beak..

2. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Leave it. If there are a lot of blood vessels, its not ready to hatch yet.

3. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Bump up the humidity a little, to compensate for the large opening, and wait. If there is no beak visible but it is still moving, it probably just isn't ready. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along soon and help more.

4. ChickenJill

ChickenJill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    is it dangerous to leave it too long? I can only see the blood vessels when I wet it..
    thanks!

5. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Maybe place a damp paper towel over that end of the egg to keep the membrane moist, so that when the chick comes to turn he can turn easily. Try and keep the paper towel damp. I'm not sure how long to leave the chick but if you cut the membrane too early it could bleed too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by