1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

helpis this a roo or hen and why arent they laying eggs yet got in august was told both are hens and

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pet chickens, Oct 23, 2013.

1. pet chickens

pet chickens New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] The blue/red bird pictured is an EE cockerel. The buff bird pictured with him is a pullet - she is not mature enough to lay.

1 person likes this.
  3. pet chickens

pet chickens New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    I was told the grey one is an americauna and aracauna mix and oh boy did not want a rooster also they were suppose to be the same age so how much longer do I need to wait for eggs and is having a rooster a bad or good thing I have only been around hens what do I do they were suppose to be 14 weeks old the first of august when I got them

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Well I think your rooster might be an olive egger since he has feathers on his feet. The hens comb and face will start to turn red before she gets ready to lay. Depending on where you are at she might not start till next spring (if you are here in the USA)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by