1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELPP =( thought it was dead....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ashleyy_x3, May 10, 2009.

1. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    ok so today i was gonna give up on 4 of my russian orloff eggs that were supposed to hatch last tuesday. so i figured they were probably all dead by now and there was no way they were gonna hatch like 5 days late.. but still, to be on the cautious side i just cracked open the shell by the aircell and saw the chick was still alive in there! so i went to peel away some more of the shell. the membrane looked all dried out. but i mustve knicked it by mistake and it started to bleed! [​IMG] so i wet the membrane and thats when i saw it still had veins.. gahhh. im so stupid! i probably just killed it didnt i? [​IMG] i think i can still see it breathing.. but its prob bleeding out to death... right?.... anything i can do for this chick?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    wrapped in a wet papertowel and leave it in the bator--check on it in a few hours...keep it moist is really all you can do right now...Im sorry I couldnt have been more help..just wanted to let you know your not alone...good luck

3. Ashleyy_x3

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    ok i just wrapped it in a wet paper towel.. am i supposed to fully wrap it or leave some part unwrapped or what? i wrapped the whole egg.. [​IMG]

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    If it's pipped the air cell then it's breathing air and you should leave it some room to breathe. If it hasn't pipped the air cell, yet, you're fine.

5. Ashleyy_x3

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    no it doesnt seem to have pipped the aircell yet.. so i will leave it fully covered then... i cant believe after 5 or so days laet it hasnt even pipped the aircell! [​IMG]

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    remember that when incubating there are colder spots in the bator-which means your eggs are a few days behind--I m sure some of mine are like that ...just be patient and hopefuly soon it will get through the air membrane to really breath--when that happens remove the wet papertowel from that opening and keep the papertowel moist warm moist not hot-def not cold... I keep checking on you in between a big family dinner and checking my 19 day old eggs!!! good luck

7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

It sounds like you need to raise your temp at least a degree next time. Also, if you incubate in a table top incubator you need to rotate the eggs around in the incubator about half way through next time. As someone said, there are hot spots and those will develop and hatch quicker.

8. Ashleyy_x3

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    yeah i had a few temp drops through-out the incubation. but all my other 13 chicks hatched out on time or only a day late... soo idk if maybe this one was just a slow developer or what.. i think there might be another one of my russian orloffs that might still be alive...when my last chick was in there i think it mustve broke the shell of this RO and so i just peeled it away a little bit and dont see any movement but do see veins in the membrane... does this mean its still alive?

also. i just checked on the other RO.. doesnt seem to be moving anymore... but i'll leave it in anyways. it might just not be noticeble enough movement for me to see....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by