1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

helpp!!!!!! with predators!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Alihbaloch, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Alihbaloch

Alihbaloch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Im kind Of scared reading all these posts about predators, ,,
    I live in neighbourhood, there is no woods around my house but there are some wood in my neighbourhood, i see rabbits al the time around my house, i have seen cats couple of cats couple times....
    My coop is 3 feet tall with both sides all plywood, and front and back with bottom 2 feet of plywood and top foot with chicken wire, bottom is plywood and roof is chicken wire with slanted roof,
    I was wondering what can i do to keep anything away from my coop, i will try to put pictures of cooop later, i was thinking of putting hardwire cloth on front and back or nite guard lights or motion sensor lights ,
    also i cover the coop with that tarp. but im still scared,
    im a highschool student so i want something cheap,
    I have 3 barred rocks, 4weeks olds
    help is appreciated
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I would cover the ventilation spaces and window spaces with hardware cloth rather than chicken wire and make sure that the latch on the door is secure.

Oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  3. Alihbaloch

Mar 22, 2012
    how do i attach the hardware cloth to wood? i used staple gun for chicken wire!
    i have latches screwed in 2 screws on each latch and at night i little key locks on them

4. Alihbaloch

Mar 22, 2012
  5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    You can attach hardware cloth using washers and screws.

I would imagine that the light would wake your chickens as well, but I have no experience using them as protection.

Locking the latch is a good idea.

6. Alihbaloch

Mar 22, 2012
    thanks again for reply.
    okay i just got a surgery on my foot so in a week or two i will put the hardware cloth on.
    what kind of hardware cloth should i get?
    1/2 '?

7. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

My coop is a little larger than yours, but you should probably use 1/2" hardware cloth, attached with 'fender' washers and screws. The fender washers are large enough to hold the hardware cloth without risk of tearing. Here is a pic of my construction.[​IMG]

8. Alihbaloch

Mar 22, 2012
    Nice thanks for help everyone
    Since i already have chickenwire can i just put hardware cloth on top of it?
    What abt the top side, what can i do on top since i have roof screwed in and nailed in how can i put hardware cloth on top?
    Or any other suggestions.

9. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    You can put the hardware cloth over the chicken wire; you can use 'poultry staples', those are U shaped nails, but use pliers to hold them as you start to nail them in our you'll smash your fingers. (how do I know that???)
    [​IMG]

The tarp just cuts down on ventilation, it won't slow down raccoons very much.

10. Alihbaloch

Mar 22, 2012

What do you mean it wont slow coons down,
    What if i put hardware cloth, will it be racoon proof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by