HELPP!! :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SamSimone, Jul 18, 2015.

1. SamSimone

SamSimone In the Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    Hi guys,

I really hope you can help me on this one!

I've got a male Indian runner duck named Guus.
    He is 15 months old now, and he has real bad moodswings.
    He's the only duck we have, but we do have three chickens, three bunny's and two dogs.
    He loves the dogs and goes on walks with them and even plays with them.
    Some days he is so adorable, he'll come sit on my lap and cuddle all night. He falls asleep in my arms and he has tought himself not to poop on me haha.

But on other days he drives me insane!

He usually walks around in the backyard but we have got a coop too.

He has got his own bathtub, gets plenty of attention and treats.

When he gets up on the wrong side of the bed I will notice immediately, he will start screaming at me and he will try to bite my arms and hands when I take him out of the coop.
    He will chase you around the garden all day, and he even follows you inside.
    He has bitten me, my sister and my mom so bad we have got bruises everywhere and sometimes even until we bleed.
    He doesn't bite my best (male) friend or my dad, I don't know why.

I have tried absolutely everything!
    Sit on top of him and hold his head down, sit like that for five minutes. (Not with any weight, just so you are dominant)
    Ignore him, punish him, lock him away, yell at him, let him do it until he gets tired, but nothing works!

I love him so so much, especially on his sweet days, but I don't know if I will be able to keep him if it continues this way.

Pleeaaasseee help!

Every tip is more then welcome!

Hope you guys can help :(

Love,
    Sam
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Crowing

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Some birds have mood-swings. It seems to be connected with being raised without their natural mother, like parrots. You could try some of the parrot training tips on him, as ducks are pretty smart.

I really hope some of the parrot training books can help you. You could try getting another duck and see if it changes anything.

Best of luck! [​IMG]

3. nchls school

nchls school Crowing

Apr 22, 2015
    Tennessee
    Hi guys,

I really hope you can help me on this one!

I've got a male Indian runner duck named Guus.
    He is 15 months old now, and he has real bad moodswings.
    He's the only duck we have, but we do have three chickens, three bunny's and two dogs.
    He loves the dogs and goes on walks with them and even plays with them.
    Some days he is so adorable, he'll come sit on my lap and cuddle all night. He falls asleep in my arms and he has tought himself not to poop on me haha.

But on other days he drives me insane!

He usually walks around in the backyard but we have got a coop too.

He has got his own bathtub, gets plenty of attention and treats.

When he gets up on the wrong side of the bed I will notice immediately, he will start screaming at me and he will try to bite my arms and hands when I take him out of the coop.
    He will chase you around the garden all day, and he even follows you inside.
    He has bitten me, my sister and my mom so bad we have got bruises everywhere and sometimes even until we bleed.
    He doesn't bite my best (male) friend or my dad, I don't know why.

I have tried absolutely everything!
    Sit on top of him and hold his head down, sit like that for five minutes. (Not with any weight, just so you are dominant)
    Ignore him, punish him, lock him away, yell at him, let him do it until he gets tired, but nothing works!

I love him so so much, especially on his sweet days, but I don't know if I will be able to keep him if it continues this way.

Pleeaaasseee help!

Every tip is more then welcome!

Hope you guys can help :(

Love,
    Sam

Really give thought as to why Guus doesn't bite your dad or male friend and I do not think it is because they are male.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Crowing

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Sounds like Guus may need a few girlfriends.

5. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    I agree with Desert I think he needs a couple of girlfriends. I am surprised he hasn't tried to mate with the female chickens.

Patty

6. SamSimone

SamSimone In the Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    Unfortunately girlfriends are not an option, my parents will never allow it.
    But he doesn't respond to other ducks whatsoever anyway so that's not gonna work.

7. shortgrass

shortgrass Crowing

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Duck needs some playmates or a new home. He is being aggressive because he's lonely.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

Yelling at him won't do it and sounds like treating him like another drake would isn't working either. are you being consistent in training? I don't think you meant you are literally sitting on him. But I think what your seeing is hormonal and also Guus being raised as an only duck has him very confused as to his role with you, He sees you and mom and sister as potential mates. Yes they do get confused. Maybe you should think about finding Guus a home where he will have some female friends. Someone mentioned he may try mating with your hens and that is a biggie he could end up killing them chickens and ducks are not made to mate totally different set up there.

9. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Crowing

Jun 23, 2015
    USA

I agree, the duck is lonely, he probably is just frustrated because he wants to breed.A LOT of animals show aggression when they reach maturity and want to find a mate.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015
  10. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Crowing

May 19, 2014
    Georgetown, TX
    I agree 100%. It sounds like you really do care for your duck but he is confused and lonely. Ducks need other ducks, bunnies and chickens don't work as company. He really needs company and another male would work too. You are running a really big risk with your chickens too. If he were to mate them he can really hurt them since ducks and chickens have very different anatomy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: