HELPPP DRAKES FIGHTING FEATHER PLUCKING!!

jwile3

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 7, 2014
I have to Indian runner drakes who have grown up together as hatchlings. My HUGE problem right now is the one is plucking the crap out of the others back. I know it's a result from them fighting to be the dominant one. I've tried separating them but they panic and almost kill themselves trying to get to the other. Is there anything at all I can do to help these feathers grow back I feel horrible! Or something to put on to help it heal. Maybe some kind of covering? I'm desperate! I don't want it to get worse. Thanks in advance! I've posted a picture below for reference.

I have to Indian runner drakes who have grown up together as hatchlings. My HUGE problem right now is the one is plucking the crap out of the others back. I know it's a result from them fighting to be the dominant one. I've tried separating them but they panic and almost kill themselves trying to get to the other. Is there anything at all I can do to help these feathers grow back I feel horrible! Or something to put on to help it heal. Maybe some kind of covering? I'm desperate! I don't want it to get worse. Thanks in advance! I've posted a picture below for reference.
@jwile3
This is so common between once good buddy's when they get into the hormones stage.
There is a product called Blue Kote very inexpensive at TSC [get the one with the dauber] easier to use than the spray. Be sure to cover the wound and surrounding feathers your drake will be purple for a while but this disguises the wound and helps with healing. Are they fighting over females or is it just the 2 of them?Be sure to wear old clothes when using this product what ever it gets on it's on for good.It will wear off the duck especially if he swims so you'll have to reapply to keep the other drake from pulling feathers out again.

Last edited:
It's just the 2 of them. I'm used to them fighting once in awhile but this feather loss is as bad as it's ever been. Should I worry about cleaning the area first before I apply the other product? Also do you think I should try to wrap it some how so the other drake doesn't getting him there for awhile?

It's just the 2 of them. I'm used to them fighting once in awhile but this feather loss is as bad as it's ever been. Should I worry about cleaning the area first before I apply the other product? Also do you think I should try to wrap it some how so the other drake doesn't getting him there for awhile?
I think once you put the blue kote on the other drake won't pluck that area. Now he may start some place else but you'll be ready with the blue kote. I would use some warm water and salt mixed in to rinse the area let it dry then apply the blue kote the gentian violet that is in the blue kote will help with healing

Saline solution is 1 cup of warm water to 1/8 tea. of salt.

@jwile3

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom