helppp

kdifranco90

Hatching
Apr 21, 2018
i have a 15 year old hen that i love and today i found her laid out and others hens attacking her now she is sleeping all the time and her neck looks like its crooked and it looks like she is choking when she drinks water or like it hurts for her to drink has any one ever had this happen she was fine last week

Hi! I'm not sure on this, but I know there are many others who will be. Maybe make the title of your thread more descriptive. Try something like, "Bullied Hen Chokes when Drinking and has Crooked Neck" This will give others a better idea of what type of help you are looking for. Also, look at this link. It has some great questions for you to answer that will help everyone else solve your problem.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/have-an-emergency-disease-please-read-first.3569/

Good luck!

If your hen is 15 years old then she is pretty old and she may be declining due to age. Often birds that are ill or weak will be attacked by the flock, it's a defense mechanism as weaker birds could attract predators. The bent neck could be wry neck, which can be caused by vitamin deficiency, or injury. If she is not eating well or digesting well, that could be a cause for vitamin deficiency. You can try supplementing with vitamins (E, selenium and the B's) to see if it helps. Isolate her if you haven't already so she doesn't get hurt, a wire dog crate inside the coop is good so she isn't alone but they can't hurt her, check to see if droppings are normal or abnormal, and if her crop is functioning properly. The crop should be empty in the morning before she eats and fill throughout the day as she eats. If you can post a picture of the neck positioning, and any abnormal droppings it may help to get more suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom