Helpppp!!! Blackout!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ms.cluckling, Dec 22, 2010.

1. ms.cluckling

ms.cluckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Its raining really badly here in LA, and there have been blackout warnings!!! The problem is, I have 16 eggs in the incubator!! If the power goes out, what do you suggest I do? Do I put some blankets over the eggs, or do I just keep it closed and pray that the heat wont escape?!?! Thank you!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

ms.cluckling :

Its raining really badly here in LA, and there have been blackout warnings!!! The problem is, I have 16 eggs in the incubator!! If the power goes out, what do you suggest I do? Do I put some blankets over the eggs, or do I just keep it closed and pray that the heat wont escape?!?! Thank you!

LA as in Los Angeles? If it Los Angeles, the storms are supposed to over by 8pm, but if the power does go out cover the bator with a blanket and then go turn your shower on full hot water to heat up bathroom, take the btor in there. Don't leave the water running (too much humidity) but keep the room heated.​

3. ms.cluckling

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh thank you thank you thank you!!! yes, LA as in Los Angeles, CA. it looks as though this has happened to you before...

4. debilorrah

ms.cluckling :

Oh thank you thank you thank you!!! yes, LA as in Los Angeles, CA. it looks as though this has happened to you before...

A time or two. I now have an outlet adapter for my car, so I can go plug it in there if we lose power. I am in Hesperia in the high desert, so I am slogging through this nasty crap right there with ya!!​

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    And fill hot water bottles to put around the bator to keep the bator temp up if the power is out for very long.

6. debilorrah

Quote:We never lose power for THAT long out here - it's usually back up within the hour in LA. Where I am could be 3 hours, but it only stays out that long when some drunk plows into a transformer. Yep, that's happened.

7. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:We never lose power for THAT long out here - it's usually back up within the hour in LA. Where I am could be 3 hours, but it only stays out that long when some drunk plows into a transformer. Yep, that's happened.

That's better than a drunk on a huge tractor who went along a main highway here and chopped down the power poles for a quarter mile [​IMG] I got stuck between downed lines on the highway [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

That's better than a drunk on a huge tractor who went along a main highway here and chopped down the power poles for a quarter mile [​IMG] I got stuck between downed lines on the highway [​IMG]

Yeah, I guess. [​IMG] That was why I wanted to know if it was Los Angeles or Louisiana. I know here, I do not know there.

9. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Hope this can help! [​IMG]

Here's an excerpt from Storeys Guide to Raising Chickens (page 205):
    "If you have an uninterruptable power source (UPS) for your computer or other electronic equipment, consider disconnecting the usual equipment and using the UPS to power your incubator. If the outage continues beyond its capacity to keep your incubator running, or if you don't have an UPS, open the incubator and let the eggs cool until the power goes back on.

Trying to keep the eggs warm is likely to cause abnormal embryo development. Furthermore, if you close the vents or wrap the incubator with blankets in your attempt to keep the eggs warm, a greater danger than temperature loss is oxygen deprivation. Developing embryos use up oxygen rather rapidly, and the oxygen level may soon fall below that necessary to keep them alive.

As soon as the power goes back on, close the incubator and continue operating it as usual. The effect of the outage on your hatch will depend on how long the power was out and on how long the eggs had been incubated before the outage. A power failure of up to 12 hours may not significantly affect the hatch (except to delay it somewhat), especially if the outage occurred during early incubation, when cooled embryos naturally tend to go dormant. Embryos that are close to term generate enough heat to carry them through a short-term outage."

10. ms.cluckling

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Interesting. Thank you all! I'm just praying to god that it wont get that bad to begin with [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by