1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Helpppp Crazy Alfa-Rooster!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CrazyChick143, Nov 17, 2010.

1. CrazyChick143

CrazyChick143 New Egg

Aug 2, 2010
    San Fernando Valley
    Ok, well first off, I have five girls that are almost 6months old. In August I bought two new chicks and have raised them inside and then brought them outside to their own coop that is right next to the other girls' coop. The new chicks were much smaller than the older girls so I wanted to keep them separated until they started to get along. The girls would pick on the chicks, but I let them hang out together when I let them out to free-range....but I was there to be the mediator in case anything happened lol. Anyways, just recently I heard some noise coming from the backyard. I have discovered that one of my chicks actually turned out to be a silkie rooster. I didn't want fertilized eggs, so I didn't really want a rooster, but this was turning out to be one of my favorite chickens!!! I guess I'll have to live with that fact that I have a mr. silkie rooster now [​IMG]. The thing with the rooster is .... every time I let him out of the coop he comes straight towards me wanting to attack. I try to hold my ground... but man it hurts when he pecks me!!! I have to hide my feet or wear socks so it doesn't hurt so bad. Sometimes when I'm even walking over to let the other girls out the rooster will chase me and basically crash into me trying to attack me. I held the rooster a lot when it was a baby so I always pick up the rooster after it attacks me and we have a friendly little conversation about how mean he is lol. The other chick that is younger is a polish and now that the rooster is getting his male tendencies the poor little polish chicken is getting attacked. The sad thing is .... the poor polish chicken are the rooster are basically best friends except for the fact that the rooster randomly attacks the poor polish chick [​IMG]. I keep the girls separate, but the rooster is trying to attack the poor girls now and mount them. I don't wan to have to get rid of the rooster... but what should I do? I don't want the poor polish chicken to be alone... or the rooster to be alone either...? Help? Or any advice on the rooster trying to attack me? [​IMG] Thanks in advance for any help!!!

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Walk towards him first, briskly and decisively. Make him back up. You can also stomp and flap things at him. At first, you may have to walk at him every time you come in the pen. Later you can do it randomly. (If he starts doing a "cute" dance at you, that's a challenge, too - make him back up!)

If picking him up hasn't stopped his aggression, I would stop doing it and make him keep his distance. He's going to grow some nasty little razors on his heels in a few months, and he'll really, really be able to hurt you then. You can still admire him from a distance, while you cuddle the hens.

(Okay, I do pet mine sometimes, when they're on the roost at night! They're too groggy to take advantage then...)

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    he's running to you head on....? boot him.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    A mean rooster tastes great. Seriously, there are so many great roos out there looking for homes that there is no point to keeping a nasty one. I'd get rid of him if he doesn't settle down really quickly.

5. CrazyChick143

CrazyChick143 New Egg

Aug 2, 2010
    San Fernando Valley
    Thanks you guys for all the great ideas!! Hopefully he shapes up soon because I love him! I'll let you guys know how it goes![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by