1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELPPPP **Just found out my baby chick is a boy! But I don't want to get rid of her what can I do??*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by brooklynbirds18, Dec 1, 2012.

1. brooklynbirds18

brooklynbirds18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    So I made this account yesterday to find out if my bird Brooklyn, a black and white Ameraucana, was a boy or a girl. And now she's a boy, but when my parents know about it they'll get rid of her despite she's ones of our favorites. Any way to blend her in with the rest or at least keep her quiet?? Don't want to give her away she's like the coolest bird

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. brooklynbirds18

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    Well she's a silver Ameraucana to be specific but whatever lol.. Black and white to me.. But she sort of blends in with the rest other than the fact that she's the biggest, but I'm saying in the long run I don't want to have to rid of her because of the noise she'll make when she gets older, I just want to keep her calm and tolerable so maybe we can save her.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Only until HE starts to crow, the have an annoying crow, so it will be noticeable

4. brooklynbirds18

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    Well is there a way to maybe get him out of that habit? I know sounds dumb but ill do anything to keep this bird.. The last few days the sounds come here and there in the morning not too much tho

5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    You can't really keep a roo from crowing. I moved in order to keep my roosters LOL! I could have hens where I used to live but not roos because the houses were too close together and they were too noisy.

6. brooklynbirds18

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    **** this really sucks I'm in no position to move.. I'd leave my hens in a second for this one. She's, or should I say he's so friendly and responsive to people and follows me and smart. When I pick up another bird he'll extend out his neck and just stare at me in jealousy lol

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    He probably won't stay that way, I had an EE roo that I loved friendly as heck, he hit around 17 weeks or so. He flogged me every chance he could, needless to say, I trust no rooster.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Percentage wise, I would say that fewer roosters get mean than remain friendly. But, they all crow to some extent. Whether or not the crow is annoying depends on a huge number of factors; a lot of which are human individual. In other words, what is annoying to one person is not to another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by