1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELPPPP **Just found out my baby chick is a boy! But I don't want to get rid of her what can I do??*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brooklynbirds18, Dec 1, 2012.

1. brooklynbirds18

brooklynbirds18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    So I made this account yesterday to find out if my bird Brooklyn, a black and white Ameraucana, was a boy or a girl. And now she's a boy, but when my parents know about it they'll get rid of her despite she's ones of our favorites. Any way to blend her in with the rest or at least keep her quiet?? Don't want to give her away she's like the coolest bird
    Well she's a silver Ameraucana to be specific but whatever lol.. Black and white to me.. But she sort of blends in with the rest other than the fact that she's the biggest, but I'm saying in the long run I don't want to have to rid of her because of the noise she'll make when she gets older, I just want to keep her calm and tolerable so maybe we can save her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nigellas

Nigellas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I think they'll figure it out soon enough... Maybe one day someone will start breeding crowless roos...

3. brooklynbirds18

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    Yah that's what I'm afraid of.. And I really don't even live in a hen friendly zone so a rooster is like *** lol

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Your Easter Egger is most definatly a rooster, soon he will start growing his rooster plumage (pointed feathers and longer tail), and will also start crowing. Not much in the way of hiding that [​IMG]

5. brooklynbirds18

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    He actually crowed today for the maybe first or second time today.. I can't be sure it was crowing but we never heard a sound like it. There's a good chance I'm gunna have to get rid of him when he's at the point to be sleeping outside and no longer in the house.. If he's 6 1/2 weeks now how much longer would I have with him? We bought him with a set of four so the three others are the same age too.. How long til I can merge the little ones with my older hens outside?

6. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    From what I've read you can let them outside at about six weeks old, as soon as they're all feathered. I cheated and kicked out my four and a half week olds, but we live in a very warm climate.

7. brooklynbirds18

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    Yeah I mean I let them outside all the time.. But how long to merge them with my older hens ? they are about 7 months

8. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I'm sure that it just depends upon your flock. We have three standard and two bantam hens that are 8 months old. We also have two standard hens that are 17/18 weeks old and two that are 15/16 weeks old. We have separate coops for the bantam girls, the standard 8-month-old hens, and the youngsters. They all roam around the lawn together. The bantams and standards of the same age also share a large run. Today, we opened the coop (belonging to the young birds) into the run. -first day that everyone was together - all day. I am just now comfortable enough to permit the "little ones" to share a space with the "big ones" without fear of them getting pecked relentlessly. I waited until everyone was relatively the same size. (going to integrate the entire flock into one coop this spring)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  9. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Yeah, hate to tell you, but he's going to get louder as he grows. I have an Ameraucana that was quiet for a long time, but I knew he was a boy. He didn't crow until he was about seven months old, but he got louder and better at it after that.

I don't know if this will help or not, but I'm using a temporary solution for a couple of my boys that are crowing. I can't move them out to a rural area until later in the season, but I don't want them to irritate the neighbors. So, at night, both of them get put in their own carrier in the garage, where they stay until it's late morning. Then, I boot them back into the garden. It doesn't stop them crowing, but it sure keeps them from waking up cranky neighbors in the wee hours of the morning.

10. brooklynbirds18

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    That's actually what I wanted to do, not necessarily in the garage but make a completed boarded and soundproof area of the coop to put him in temporarily, at least so I can what he'll look like when he's older. I was told hell be a good looking boy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by