Helpppp!

raveniasuresh

In the Brooder
May 23, 2018
I need help! I’ve just came back home after my one year matriculation. When i came back home , an awful smell comes from my 8 years old rooster and after that i checked its body ... there like one big hole below stomach

Attachments

• 3C8BA3FA-77C6-4318-8311-62511F4E6FA1.jpeg
    3C8BA3FA-77C6-4318-8311-62511F4E6FA1.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 23
I suspect its a growth or tumor.Im not sure.I’m literally helpless and most the vet around my town says they dont treat roosters

I think you need some sort of antiseptic cleanser. Have you tried giving a very gentle tug to the plug to see if it’s attached? I might also consider a warm, damp compress. I hope someone else chimes in here soon. Poor guy. Minimally, I would clean it with warm soapy water and/or flush it with sterile saline.

Looks like an abscess. Birds have firmer pus than we do, that what the yellow is. Might’ve started as an ingrown feather follicle, who knows. If it was my bird I would soak the rooster, gently scrape and push as much of that yellow stuff out as possible, flush with saline, keep it clean with betadine, and depending on how it looks maybe start antibiotics.

Last edited:
I need help! I’ve just came back home after my one year matriculation. When i came back home , an awful smell comes from my 8 years old rooster and after that i checked its body ... there like one big hole below stomach
How long were you gone?
That did not happen fast...massive infection.
Is a vet visit an option?
Where are you located in this world?

Is he pooping?
How far below the vent is that?
Does the vent look o.k.?

I can only hazard a guess, but likely at some point he had Flystrike. The yellow "plug" is probably chicken pus. I would be concerned about how deep that hole goes.

Since he has a terrible smell, he has infection. I would try to remove that plug, then take a good look inside, it's possible there are maggots in there.
You can use saline or salt water, betadine or clorhexidine to give him a good soaking to help soften that up. Flush the wound very well.
Take some photos and let us see:D

Back
Top Bottom