HELPPPPPPPPP!!!! my hen might have a blocked wind pipe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Squawk Box Fresh Eggs, Aug 26, 2008.

1. The Squawk Box Fresh Eggs

The Squawk Box Fresh Eggs Out Of The Brooder

A few days ago i noticed my BR hen breathing straingely, when she inhaled, she did it slowly and i could hear a soft "whistling" noise, but she couldnt exhale thru her nose, she would open her mouth as wide as it can go and exhale. she wont eat and drinks some water,walks slowly and avoids the other chickens. shes 9 months old and not laying yet.
    i looked in her throat and saw that her esphogas is not shut but open so wide a penny could fit in it. her "voice box" (i guess thats wht it is) is also enlarged. no swelling as i can see but it looks pale.

so wht should i do? it might be blocked ( i doubt though). it will probably effect her egg laying ability so should i make a chicken stew out of her or try to help her get over whtever this is.

2. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    I have no idea what to do, but I hope someone here who can sees this. Good luck!

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    She may have a respiratory disease...
    Give her antibiotics for a few days and see how she does... good luck...

4. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    I know that when my birds eat way to fast and to much when they were unger the food got stuck up in the throaght and we had to hold him upside down and rub his neck upward for the food to come out from the mouth, could this be happing to your bird. [​IMG]

5. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    definately sounds like respiratory. I would treat with tylan50 or tylan powder ASAP.

6. The Squawk Box Fresh Eggs

@shay20, i know what you mean, but this isnt that "problem". also it dosent make any noise except for that "whisteling" noise it makes...

do any of u think the veternarian might have an antibiotic that would help?

7. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    If you want to go to the vet, that is fine, they may prescribe baytril for you.

8. The Squawk Box Fresh Eggs

its really hard to find a vet that will take chickens......i called the vet and he said the hen dosent have CRD but an obsticle in her wind pipe, he told me to do the same thing as shay20 said...but it didnt work, so he basically said "chickens make a good stew":|
    but i want the thing out of her windpipe, not eat her, she hasnt even laid an egg yet.
    i might be "massaging" her wrongly or something, got any other suggestions?
    i have heard mineral oil might work, but i wouldnt put it in her wind pipe.

9. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Not much help to ya but I hope you figure out what it is. Let us know if you do.

10. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    This could also be the result of an injury. One of our GSL's struck her neck on the edge of the roost one evening (hasslin' with the other hens). I could hear loud breathing over the monitor after they'd all settled in, and went out to check. She was breathing with her mouth held open and her open beak pointed towards the ceiling. She had a hard time getting any water down (even using an eyedropper) and no food. She died of a heart attack two days later (flipped over on her back and that was all she wrote).

Just monitor the water intake (use a dropper if necessary). Dehydration kills chooks fast. Sure hope it is just an infection or an injury that resolves successfully!

Take care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by