Hemaphrodite black copper maran hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by browning6, Feb 7, 2013.

1. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    [​IMG]

this is a black copper maran hen i just bought for a little bit of nothing. the former owner says she looks like a rooster except her feather pattern (which i cant get to load) but she lays an egg. she said she will fight with the roosters as if she is one. My question is can there be a Hemaphrodidic hens? Or is this pretty common and i am just a rookie. she has very small spurs on her legs. I will try to get other photos up of her.

2. browning6

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few other photos of her.

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    looks like a normal hen to me. Hens can have large combs and spurs, it depends in the breed.

this is what one looks like, hen on one side, rooster on other. (not my chicken, be cool if it was though)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Its a hen, just a hen (with a large comb). Its not uncommon for hens to fight with roosters (usually bc they don't appreciate their amorous advances), crow (usually in the absence of a roo, but not always), mount other hens (for dominance) or have spurs (in some breeds spurred hens are standard). Hermaphrodites are possible, although rare. If your hen were one she would have both sets of sexual organs, and be sterile (and NOT lay eggs). Google them, they exist- but your girl is more than likely just a bossy pants who's too big for her britches. Don't be surprised if one of your boys eventually gets tough and puts her in her place (if you have a roo and she exhibits the same behavior towards him). Good luck.
    Nikki

5. browning6

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    Thanks for the info. Interesting to hear.

6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I think if the left side is female, it could lay a few eggs. I think I remember something about someone having one that laid an ocassional egg. Only one of the hens ovarys delevop, I think it is the right side that doesnt.

7. geeg

geeg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    Atlanta GA
    Hello..I have a black copper maran girl who acts like a rooster, has a waddle, and doesn't look like my other two black copper maran hens.. I do have a rooster that crows; and she spars with him, ruffling out her neck feathers!! But she doesn't crow.. she's a bigger girl too,, but she is SO friendly to me. Anyway, thanks for the post; it gave me hope that she'll be laying in a couple of months![​IMG]

8. henrysmomma

henrysmomma New Egg

Apr 1, 2013
    Macon, GA
    GEEG - what happened with your suspicious hen? And I'm curious, where did you get her? I bought some from a hatchery in Monticello, GA. She has the female coloring. She's very sweet to me. But has a huge red comb and wattle - and gets a little pushy with the other hens. I bought 3 day old FCBM at the same time. Had one rooster - textbook appearance and crowing at 3 months. Hatchery swapped him out for a hen. I'm in Macon, GA, so I guess it's possible we may have hens from the same line.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by