Hematoma on my blue Maran

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CDMK, Aug 17, 2010.

1. CDMK

CDMK New Egg

Jun 8, 2010
    Yikes! My blue Maran, not quite yet full grown, got stepped on by one of the goats in our barnyard. She lost a few feathers, limped a bit for two days, then seemed to just collapse. Now she can't get up, although she can barely move about to get to nearby water & food. It seems she has a hematoma just above the hock that is causing her to be unable to put weight on that foot/leg. Does anyone have experience treating this condition in chickens - all the advice for people says apply heat and eat chicken soup - ack!!
    THanks for any help!!
    Cathryn

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Is her leg fractured? Check carefully because a displaced fracture can be rectified, but only if you know it's there. If you don't feel a break then she may still have a fracture, but it is not displaced and is therefore easier to deal with. Separate her from her coop mates into a small space like a dog crate. She will need food and water easily accessible because she shouldn't be walking on that leg for a while if you can help it. It will heal on its own. She should be kept quiet, safe from her peers, and as still as possible. Let her tell you when she's ready for activity. As long as she has access to resources she should heal up in no time without any intervention from you. Increase her calcium and protein intake to aid in healing.

I had a duck with a leg fracture that took a couple months to heal. He was quite untamed and could not be separated or contained, but he rested most of the time with the leg stretched out in front of him. It eventually healed with no deformity or loss of movement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by