Hen 7 mo. still laying weak shelled eggs....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clucky2, Nov 4, 2009.

1. clucky2

clucky2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    NORCAL
    My Light Brahma has been laying since Aug., but still is producing eggs with thin shells. There is a shell, it's just not nice and dense like everyone elses. I give them oyster shell in thier feed. Maybe she doesn't eat enough of it. Today and egg from her was broken in the nest box. It looked as if it broke when she was sitting, not pecked open.
    Do some hens just take a long time to get nice dense shells, or should I be doing something to help?

2. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Most of the time I have heard you should offer oyster shell on the side.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I had a buff orpington that started laying last year in August. She layed almost everyday until February, but all her eggs were thin shelled and rough. Since Feb I had gotten several yokes in the next box & she would spend umpteen hours just sitting in the nest box. Her sibling never laid an egg that I know of, but lived until September of this year when she went through molt & should have started laying again, and then one day she died. I expected the first one to pass when she went through molt, as she could just no longer lay an egg. She was gotten by a predator two weeks ago, so I don't know if the start of egglaying would have killed her. Nothing I tried changed the first ones eggs when she was laying. I agree that it can be genetic.

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Hens who lay thin shells may have a genetic problem or they may have had a disease that they overed but left them with the problem. I have a mixed Brahma that has always layed a thinner and rough shell. So far She is ok. She is now going through her first large molt. I hope she will be ok. You may have to cull. sorry. Gloria jean

6. clucky2

Dec 29, 2008
    NORCAL
    Thanks for your responses. That it could be genetic never occured to me. In any case, I'll keep her. I love her, thin shells and all!

7. clucky2

Dec 29, 2008
    NORCAL
    Thanks for your responses. That it could be genetic never occured to me. In any case, I'll keep her. I love her, thin shells and all!

8. cover357

cover357 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    north- upstate NY
    We had the same problem with our girls in coop#1, we designed a poop box under the roost(makes it easier to clean) and every day there would be soft shelled eggs droped now in the poop box some stuck to the grates we had on top- then I started giving them plain yougart 2 times a week. Everything hardened up.. all good- Don't give up. there has got to be something- is she getting enough light. the chicken cycle needs every bit of different elimants to make a good egg. Don't give up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by