Hen abandonded nest

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CJD, Apr 8, 2008.

1. CJD

CJD Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    I have a buff orphington that went broody about 10 days ago. She was sitting on 7 eggs. She was on the nest this morning, but when I checked after work, she had moved to a different nest. Seems that one of the eggs had broken and she abandoned the nest. The eggs cooled for about 10 hours (it's about 45 degrees today). I put them back under her and she's happily sitting on them again, but I need to know if these have a chance at hatching, or if I should get rid of them and start over?

Thanks-

Mary

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They still have a chance to hatch. Probablly slowed them down though. Candle in a few days and if there is still veining, or it is really dark, you'll probably get chicks.

3. CJD

CJD Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Thanks - I'll give that a try.

I really hope to get a few chicks out of this batch. The father is a buff laced polish, so I can't wait to see what the babies look like [​IMG]

Mary

4. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    That exact thing happened to me today. I had 3 hens go broody last thurs/fri and one of them stopped today. I had put eggs under them saturday so I had to move those eggs to the other girls and some to the bator. She was only off for today, not sure if all day. They still felt warm, thank goodness it was a rather warm day here today. Will see what happens. Hope your hatch is not affected.

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by