Hen acted eggbound, now can't use her legs!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MissKDavis, Jan 4, 2013.

1. MissKDavis

MissKDavis New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    Hi all - I am new here. We have had our Golden Comets for almost 2 years now. Sadly, we lost one a few months ago - we believe she was eggbound and was already very sick once we realized what was happening. These are the first chickens we have ever owned. Now another one of our hens has been sick. She began acting lethargic and not eating or drinking on Monday or Tuesday. We began giving her warm baths to try to relax her muscles, thinking she was eggbound. After the second bath, she started acting a little perkier. So my husband put her back in the coop with the others. She never moved from the spot he placed her in. Then yesterday, he went out and put her on the ground at the feed bucket, she promptly fell over on her face. Yet when he held her up, she ate. He then moved her to the water where she drank. He tried to stand her up again, and she fell over on her face again. He placed her on some straw where she spent the rest of her day. I went out after work yesterday and other hens are now pecking at her, her comb and face were bloody and she still was not moving around, but when I gave her water (medicated) and food, she ate and drank really well. We have now separated her, put her in a cage and brought her into the house where we can better monitor her. When she breathes, it almost sounds like a ventilator, and you can see the air moving in the skin between her beak and eye - it fluffs out and sucks back in. We hate to lose her (right before we lost the other hen, a neighbor turned their starving dog loose and left - they were moving - and the dog found our rooster and killed him, too), but then again, we don't wish her to suffer, either. We have 2 more hens from this group that we got, and have also brought in 4 additional Golden Comets the Sunday before Christmas. (Could one of them passed a disease to her? All of the others seem to be doing really well.) Any suggestions or guidance is welcome. Thank you!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  3. MissKDavis

MissKDavis New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    Thank you so much!! I will check this out and see what we can do for her. She is the hubby's favorite, she is such a sweet sweet hen!! So we are hoping for the best...

4. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Welcome to BYC, 'though it's bad circumstances ...

Most certainly, new birds can introduce infection(s) to your flock(s). And, there's equal risks for them, although you're more certain of your own birds' health. And, that might be what's goin' on ...

For sure, you can safely switch all your birds over to an astringent solution of Apple Cider Vinegar, at the rate of four teaspoons to the gallon (but never in galvanized metal containers). This will help to 'cut through' the coatings in the mouth, throat and intestines, and allow them to more easily expel mucus. Additionally, this may improve her chances if toxins are the cause of her symptoms (esp. if botulism are the source of 'em )-;~

Look over the link below on diagnosis of diseases based upon symptoms, as it may help you to spot additional clues ... comparing her to another of the same age/breed can also be helpful.

5. MissKDavis

MissKDavis New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    Thank you!! We will definitely switch over our birds to the astringent water and her as well. I plan to keep her separated until she either gets better or doesn't. I won't put her back in with the others, especially because we don't want them to be sick but also we don't want the others pecking at her like they did yesterday. Thank you so much for your help! I will keep you posted on how she does!

6. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    You're welcome!! You'll find the ACV is extremely helpful for many conditions, and that there's absolutely no way it can harm a single feather on your birds. As for preventing illness(es)? Be sure 'n clean up before and after goin' around your birds, and change out the shoes worn to where they are. Another handy, and very cheap, tool for keepin' your birds 'n family healthier is Odoban ... it's $10/gallon or so, and makes 32 gallons of the best sanitizer/virucide/mildewstat/deodorizer I've seen. Although this doesn't prevent all diseases from finding your flock(s)? It sure does help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by