Hen acting "cocky" & where are those eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Squeakermama1, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Squeakermama1

Squeakermama1 New Egg

Aug 11, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Hi everyone. Well as you can see I am new at chicken raising so I again need some help. It might be a silly question but one of my RIR hens ( I just have two) is acting a bit cocky towards my other hen and me and the dog ect..... Her neck feathers are ruffled while she is doing this. She is doing some running towards us but is not pecking. The other hen acts like she is not bothered at all by her. They are about 22 - 24 weeks old now and not laying yet. The cocky one looks less mature then the other. Is this behavior normal with chickens or is this true aggression? One more question, should I be expecting some eggs soon? I've seen on this forum that their comb turns deep red but how about the size of the combs? Theirs are not that big yet. The older one is getting darker red I've noticed and she seems to be making little "nests" in the yard. Could we be getting closer? I suppose I need some encouragement in this area ")
    Thanks everyone,
    A chicken Fred

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Pics would help

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Are you sure the "cocky" one isn't a rooster?

As far as eggs...the best answer is that they lay when they're ready. Watching their combs is the best indicator, IMO. They shoud be laying any time now, I'd think.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    if you don't have a cockerel or rooster, then one hen can sometimes become 'the roo'.

i am not sure if it means she wont lay etc. also, are you SURE it's a pullet? as mentioned...pics!

5. Squeakermama1

Squeakermama1 New Egg

Aug 11, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm pretty sure it's not a rooster but I try and get a picture today. Thanks ya'll.

6. Squeakermama1

Squeakermama1 New Egg

Aug 11, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Also if it was a rooster, wouldn't I be seeing some kind of a spur by now?

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If you don't have a roo, it is perfectly normal for one hen to "become" the roo - leader so to speak. She won't lay while she is the master either. That is why we chose to have a roo in the first place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by